multi-barred angel!

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i just got a call from my lfs and my multi-barred angel is ready to be picked up! woo! tomorrow after class i'm gonna swing by and check it out, and hopefully take it home. i'm excited, i'll finally have a centerpiece fish, and a pretty sexy one to boot!

not mine but a multi-barred angel:

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
well, i picked it up earlier today, and man is it gorgeous. it's a bit larger than i expected it to be, about 3 or 4 inches, and it's about that tall too. i've been keeping an eye on him all day and he's doing well. i've done plenty of research on multi-bars and apparently in the wild, they live in a cave that they rarely ever leave, and if they do it's only a few inches. they're often found swimming upside down, eating sponges that grow above their cave. and that's what he's been doing so far. it stays out of the light, and travels under the rocks in the shade. i've seen it pick at algae and other junk on the live rock, so that's good. it looks so healthy right now tho, no odd breathing, it's a perfect weight, full color. i'm gonna start testing different foods as soon as he gets settled in, and i will try to put some pictures up too, although i've gotta figure out how to first lol.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
3 to 4 inches is big for one of these fish, and that's a bit of a problem. Most of these collected are a bit smaller, and that is good as when they are smaller they live in groups in shallower water, eating a more diverse diet, and being a bit easier to catch.
When they get larger they move down to deeper water, so you get the twin problems in that become very 'set' in their dietary habits, and also they often get dmaaged with decompression issues thro' collection. However people like to buy bigger fish, so the larger examples (like this) still get collected even they tho' they have a horrble death rate in captivity (at least 90% in first 3 months).
This fish is very, very high on my desirable list, but I would go for as small an example as possible, and be prepared to give it it's own tank for at least a few months while it learns to eat 'tank' foods. My own experience with Centropyge has been that they can often take a month before they get to recognise flake and so on as food, and the larger the fish the longer it takes.

Good luck with this fish, they are pretty, but they are not easy, though once eating they can be surprisingly hardy. As a 'booster' it was last year or the year before possible to get captive spawned and raised examples so they are not impossible.