my 55g project

MAHADY

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
First off, I would like to direct the attention to my first thread here to get an idea of what led me to this decision/project.

Today I drove around to LFS's and scoped the market for ideas. While at one store, I was told by the manager that I was looking at roughly $50 per gallon (which I think was looking at cash coming from my bank to his pocket). I then stopped by a local Petco to see what tank and base setups you can buy. After looking at some awesome 200gallon weird front glass setups with all the bells as whistles and figuring $1500 for the setup was a bit steep for my wife and me, I spoke with an old friend who referred us to craigslist. I kicked myself for not looking into this in the first place. (Remember, people who spend a grand or two who fail want to make some money back off their slightly used equipment).

So over dinner while waiting for our food I browsed the CL market and came across a nice ad pitching something along the lines of "55 Gallon Aquarium with marine land 350 pump, stand, heater, lights, back up pumps, all accessories, ready to set up!". After a brief phone call, a stop by the ATM and $150 dollars later I got a decent setup of tank and stand. I’m not complaining. A tank and stand alone runs around 400, and I also got a heater, lighting and some rock that looks like it needs some cleaning.

So as a beginner I got the "rush" over with. I rushed to get a tank and base setup, now I can piece together all the requirements slowly, correctly, and keeping my learning curve ahead of the spending curve. I am out to do this on a budget, save as much cash as possible and get things in order.

I will update as often as something new comes along and rises. I will post pictures of the tank, base, and what goodies I get.

Thanks for looking, stay safe.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Good find on the tank! You can definitely get some great deals on used tanks, because churn rate in the hobby is something like 90 percent (i.e. 90 percent of people give up within a year).

The filter probably shouldn't be used for the tank, at least not as a filter. It could be used to occasionally polish the water or to use as a carbon reactor. The lights will probably get you to the fish stage, but after that, if you want corals, you'll probably have to spend some money.

Do you know if it was set up as fresh or salt? The rock probably won't be usable if it was fresh, but if it was salt, it could be used as base rock.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

MAHADY

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
When I spoke to the guy, he got everything after he caught a bass from the local lake as a baby. Took it home, and put it in this setup. As far as I’m aware, everything was used for freshwater. I already had plans to update the light to a 10K to start rock and sand... get the tank cycled through.

I’m also getting 50/50 responses about getting LR. Cured vs. uncured. Some say its best to start out cured; some say it’s best to start out uncured. I’m not exactly a trusting guy these days. I don’t trust people farther than I can throw them, know what I mean? So I don’t want to take the chances of testing a LFS and getting "cured" rock and end up crashing my system. If it’s taking an extra month to know all the uncured I bought has cycled through and I learned how to maintain the tank through that, I think I will have the confidence to start moving into bigger better things...
Also, I measured the dimensions of the tank this morning. 21” tall x 36” long x 18” wide. My math could be off, but I’m looking at a 58gal tank…. I’m guessing that means if I top it off to the rim I’m getting 58.xx gallons, so if I keep it to a moderate height in the tank, I should fill it to 55 gallons, right? I am also thinking about going with a sump setup, but the tank doesn’t have the holes provided… time for more research! wOOt

Pictures will come today after I clean it out. Also any advice/opinions would be GREATLY appreciated as well as pictures. I can read, read and read. But one picture can explain a lot, feel me?

Take care, stay safe.
Mahady

MAHADY

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
The rock probably won't be usable if it was fresh
is there a way of cleaning this rock? its a good size rock, a nice size hole through it for current as well... i would really hate to see it go. Also my neighbor has a good 20lbs of rock that he once used and when his tank crashed he let it dry out... he said its up for grabs if i want it, but if i cant clean that either then whats the point? lol

thanks for the kind response, btw.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would avoid using the rock that came with the tank. It could do all kinds of things in a saltwater tank. For example, if it contains iron or copper, it will kill your fish/corals.

Cured vs. uncured doesn't really matter. Either will still need to cure in your tank for a while. The only difference is the time. Uncured can take a couple of weeks or a couple of months. Cured can take a few days or a week or more. Neither should ever be added to a system with fish or corals already in it.

You can ask your LFS if they sell rock by the box at a lower rate. Ours got us a box of uncured with their regular shipment, and gave us a discount. It doesn't hurt to ask. The other thing you can do for live rock is to check Reef Central forums, either in the local forum for your area or in the buy/sell/trade sections. Sometimes you can get live rock cheap from someone breaking down their tank.

MAHADY

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
ahhh. i get it now. thanks for the insight. This book i have doesnt exactly cover many questions someone like myself would ask, and it was "one of the best books to buy". sucks.

I will look into buying a box of rock. do you think a box of cured rock will cost as much as piecing together uncured? Im thinking of going with just 55lbs of rock for now. once we move i will setup another tank or trash can and cure more rock if need be.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Which book did you buy?

There's really no such thing as a box of cured rock. Once rock has been out of the water for a day or two (in shipping), it is no longer fully cured. It may have a short curing time, but there's no guarantee. Basically, as soon as rock leaves the water, bacteria die off.

If you do buy fully cured rock, it's best to take it home submerged in saltwater, or have the tank fully ready for it and drive straight home from the store. The more time out of water, the longer the curing will be.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Michael Paletta's "The New Marine Aquariust/Aquarium" is a great beginner book and will steer you in the right direction as will Robert Fenner's "The Concientious Marine Aquariust"

MAHADY

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Today I started getting to work on my stand. Originally it was "stained" by the previous owner... which I might begin to think was seriously cross-eyed. It looked like garbage. Last night I decided the stand will be painted satin black. Once the hood is completed, it too will be painted to match.

So just awhile ago I started sanding the base with a sander and 200 grit. The outcome will be super SMOOOOOOTH to the touch compared to previous. I will show before and after when I’m done, of course.
Remember, this while project currently is taking place in a 700 sqft apartment. Not a lot of room to move around and my stand are taking up half of my balcony.