My 75 Heating Questions...

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Are you going to put Cichlids and Tetras in the same tank??
If so, I would carefully re-examine your fish choices... Cichlids are what I like to call "grumpy fish" and are agressive... You need know a lot about and their species requirements so that they can all live happily.

Tetras are comminity fish and can all live together (generally)...

Again, I am not saying it CAN'T be done... But you'll need to know your stuff to get it to work...

That's my 0.02..
Milage may vary.

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Well, thank you so much. I only said what I would like to have. I'm not going to put them together so they can eat each other. I am just a beginner. Thanks to the internet I AM learning what to put together. People learn as they go...something I am trying to do. My tank is still empty Because of the fact that I am trying to see what is compatible and what is not.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
No worries, glad you're doing your research :) As long as you aren't planning a coldwater or goldfish tank then your temperature should be somewhere in the 75-82F range. I usually keep mine 78-80 somewhere in there. Some fish are sensitive to really high or really low temperatures, but all of them mostly just need a steady temperature. If the steady temperature is too low then you run the risk of them getting sick, same thing if the temperature fluxuates too much.

On a nice big tank like yours I think you should probably have two heaters...just as a failsafe in case one goes haywire you still have one to depend on. Two 100-200 watt heaters would do the trick (you want to go for 2-5 watts per gallon so a total of 150-375 is what you want) but since you live in a relatively warm climate 5x probably isn't necessary.

Jan 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thanks FroggyFox. At the moment I only have on heater. The pet store did not have the two smaller ones that I needed. So I went ahead and bought the larger one. I am going back next week to get the two smaller ones (when they are supposed to be in!?!?!) and I will use the one I have now as a back up. Right now my temp is 79 and has been there for the last 8-9 hours. So far so good. I also had my water tested and it is puurfect..finally. I m not having a cold water tank so ..for my first big tank..so far things are going great. I will have fish in the next couple of days. :) Yaaay