My 75..... Opinions wanted

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
O.K. hopefully I can do this right and attatch the pic. It's my first try.

75 gal
Rena xp3
AC110
2x 200w Tronic heaters
Eco-complete substrate (120lbs.)

Just put the plants in this weekend. No fish yet.
I'm O.K. with the arrangement, but not completely happy yet. Would love any expert advice or critique.

Pic could be better, still learning that part

Attachments

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not bad...I do really like the dark substrate. Have you thought of doing some natural stone or some pieces of driftwood? It seems like maybe some more structure in there would help add another dimension (height?) Of course as the plants grow and fill in they will add a lot also.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It looks like you're off to a great start!

I personally like vals mostly at the back of the tank to make a nice "backdrop." Once they get started, they spread a lot, but usually in a straight line.

If possible, add some more fast-growing stem plants in there (whatever is cheapest) to help outcompete the algae while the tank establishes. You can remove them later when things settle down. There's often some algae in the first few months of setting a tank up.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hey good first try on everything...the pic AND the tank...it will start to fill in with the plants in there yes but I agree with Froggy, it needs some driftwood or large river rocks..maybe check out the "rate my tank" section for some ideas and then go with your own~dont be afraid to fiddle with it as sometimes it takes just that to get it how you think it is pleasing and functional as well. WTG Doc!

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks Froggy. I have been wanting to get some driftwood, but as there is nobody near me that stocks any, I think I will have to order it online. I would eventually like to anchor the java ferns to some wood. Somehow, getting some fish in there seems like a higher priority right now though. Definitely a work in progress.

Thought about some rocks as well, just unsure exactly how to incorporate them so it still looks somewhat natural (not sure that it does now though).

So here I am to pick everyones brains, and get some ideas.

Acei

Small Fish
Oct 24, 2005
Texas Hill Country
Looks good so far. I agree with moving the vals to the back. They make a great backdrop when they fill in. I'd also stack some natural stone and add a bit of driftwood. Personally I've never purchased any driftwood. I live near a lake and take a walk down the shore and pick up some nice pieces that way. If you do this be sure to either boil the pieces or soak them in bleach water to kill off any pests that might tag along. All in all its a great start though. What type of fish to you plan on adding?

Acei

Small Fish
Oct 24, 2005
Texas Hill Country
To each his own when it comes to aquascaping I guess... The important thing is that you enjoy the tank. Heck, some people love the sunken ships and castles, I prefer the tank to look like a cut out of nature...

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Lotus, what are the fast growing stem plants?

Right now the tank has 2 amazon swords, 1 aponogeton, 1 green temple, 1 hygrophila polysperma, 1 green wendtii, 2 java ferns, 1 ozelot sword, 1 anubias nana, and the vals.

I do want to keep it fairly simple, and let the fish be the stars, but I'm not quite satisfied with the arrangement so far. It looked o.k. to me when I was planting, but now it just looks to random. My main goal at the time was just to put something in the corners to help disguise the filter/heater.

Does anyone think it would look better to plant the corners more densely, and leave a more open space in the middle? And possibly put the driftwood in the open space with the java ferns?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Fast-growing stem plants include: anacharis, hygro. polysperma, ho.rnwort, wisteria. I'd advise getting whichever is cheaper/more appealing/available to you, and add quite a bit of it. Your other plants will grow in, and you can take out the fast growers if you don't like them later.

Sometimes it's better to let things grow in a little before you change them around, otherwise, you can drive yourself crazy. :) The other problem is that things look different in photos sometimes, so what looks great in your room may look bad on the screen, or vice versa.

I think you've made a great start, though :D

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Did you get the rock cave from Petsmart? If so they have a nice big artificial tree root that is the same color because they are both made by Top Fin. I've got the jumbo tree root, large tree root, that large rock cave and two smaller rock caves and they all look nice together. Here's a pic of my tank so you can see the tree roots, if you look closely in the back left corner and right between the two tree roots are the small rock caves. Just a suggestion if you are still looking for a large piece of driftwood or something.

Anyways, your tank looks nice but I'd have to agree that you need something bigger for decoration (driftwood, tree root, etc.) Other than that it looks great and your plants have filled in nicely.

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Yep, I'm going to get some driftwood. I need real stuff though, so my plecs have something to rasp on. I'll be placing an order soon, or at least as soon as I have replenished the tank fund after ordering the CO2 system.

I was really shocked though. Seemed as though I wasn't having much plant growth at all. But looking back at the original pic, it has come quite a ways. Can't wait to see what happens when I start the CO2 and ferts.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Cichlid-Man said:
Looks good the way it is in my opinion. Of course me and aquascaping don't mix. And i would much prefer a simple setup like that to concentrate on the fish.
hey...man after my own heart...
first time i've heard someone say that...
lots of tanks seem to be a 'riot of distraction'...
i like simple...open...expansive vistas...

each to their own of course...
it's great that we're all different...
just nice to 'meet' somebody with similar tastes...