My angel fish wont eat

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
I just purchased an adult angel about 2 years old last night. He seems to be swimming around the tank but he wont eat. Ive tried giving him flake food but he just watches as the other fish eat it. I have him in a 55 gallon with 10 head tail light tetras, 2 baby blood parrots and an elephant nose. All fish are eating except the angel. They are all aggressive feeders so maybe the angel is intimidated, but hes about 5 times the size of them so he shouldnt be scared.

what should I do?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
He's probably just adjusting to the new surroundings.
Try feeding bloodworms tonight before you go to bed. He should gobble those up in no time.

If not, give him another day or two, and if he doesn't start eating by then, you may need to make some other adjustments.

My suggestion is that you need to start feeding bloodworms if you don't already. (bloodworms and/or other meaty foods should be included in their diet at least once or twice a week anyway, if not more) If he refuses bloodworms for more than a few days, there may be something wrong.

Give him some time and see what happens.

BV

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
I recently purchased angels also, all but one of mine ate right away, the last one ate this morning....so it took about 2 days for that one to adjust...I'd do as BV said and try bloodworms, mine absolutely love them, you may try brine shrimp too.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Yea ill try the bloodworms. I feed them to my elephant nose every night so hopefully he will eat some. Heres a couple pics of him, sorry the quality sucks.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
thank you. Ive waited so long to get him, hopefully he eats and is ok. I did a small water change and added a little bit of salt so hopefully that will help his stress.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've had angelfish not eat for up to two weeks when I've gotten them. Apparently sometimes they eat when you're not looking, but sometimes not. Up to a week without eating isn't unusual. As Big Vine says, frozen bloodworms (or brine shrimp) are often a good way to get them to eat.

Sep 19, 2006
my angels never eat flake food (except the baby) they refuse it, I suppose they would eat it if they got hungry enough (but omg the pouting that would go on!)

mine eat bloodworms, brine shrimp, fancy guppy fry(population control) or tetracichlid mini granules...

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
well i tested everything, went to lfs so they could test my water to. Nitrates and ammonia are fine, so hopefully you guys are right and he will eat the bloodworms tonight. Is it ok if i keep the lights off when i feed him, my elephant nose will only feed when all the lights are off. I also have kept the tanks lights off all day because i heard it helps minimize stress when you first introduce fish.
Someone told me melafix is good to use when adding new fish also, the directions say add two teaspoons for the first three days, is it possible to overdose with this product?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Are the angels showing any signs of stress other than not eating? If not, I wouldn't add anything to the water, and keep the usual lighting schedule if they've already been in there a few days. Adding salt or Melafix to a healthy tank can, in itself, be a stressor.

I've found that adult angels take more time to adjust than juveniles. The ones I had the most problems with were a huge adult pair. I just left them, fed them daily, and eventually they ate.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
its only one angel, and not eating is the only strange thing hes doing. He seems to be swimming near the top. Hes not gasping or laying on the bottom. Just swims around like a normal fish would, his fins dont seem to be clamped , unless im wrong because i havent had that much experience with angels. Ill try and get a better pic of him.

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
well I finally got the angel to eat thanks to garlic. I just mixed it in with his food and i guess he liked it. The elephant nose even came out to play which he NEVER does when the lights are on, heres a couple pics of them.

and if you could id my angel i would appreciate it. The guy that sold it to me told me it was a marble pearl, but i think it might be a marble veil.

sorry pics are a little blurry

heres the angel and elephant together. You can see the elephant chasing after the baby blood parrots, he loves to punt them around like little footballs.