My Betta feeding

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
Have a quick question. I feed my betta 4 pellets a day, but I'm wondering how I can supplement with blood worms and brine shrimp. Can I feed him 3 pellets a day and a bloodworm, then 3 pellets and a brine shrimp the next day? I'm trying to vary his diet a bit. Thanks!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Just switch up the food however you find your fish likes it. As long as he is not being over fed is the important thing. Also note that most of that frozen stuff does not have much for nutrient content so be sure you read the package and get good quality nutrition for your fish. You can get the freeze dried KRIL that you can break easily into small pieces and its very nutritional. It in the same section as your dry flake food. If you look at the nutritional facts on the dry food and the frozen you will see what I mean. If you want to use the frozen stuff soak in a vitamin supplement like Kent Zoe Marine Vitamin. Also at the local fish store.

Oct 15, 2010
Freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms I would assume? Make sure you soak anything freeze dried (FD) in water first (5-10 minutes or so), and chop it up if needed. FD foods are known to cause bloat and swim bladder issues in bettas, because like pellets they will also expand a bit in the stomach when they come in contact with water, which is why you want to soak FD foods and let them expand before feeding them, then chop 'em up if needed. Keep in mind that your fish has a stomach about the size of one of his eyes.

I would recommend fasting him one day a week to clear out his system. It is easier to overfeed than it is to starve a fish. ;)

If you can find it, frozen foods (bloodworms etc.) are a great treat for bettas. Mine love the frozen bloodworms. And with one fish, they will last a while. :)

I would say feeding pellets a couple days a week, pellets and shrimp (or just shrimp) one day, pellets and bloodworms (or just bloodworms) another day, frozen foods 1 or 2 times a week (if you can find them if not feed soaked worms or shrimp on those days) and them one day to fast him would be good.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them. ;)