My betta is dying :(

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
My poor boy is on his deathbed right now, and I'm debating whether I should put him out of his misery or not. I got him at Wal-Mart over two years ago, so it is most likely old age. He has lived in a 1 gallon vase the entire time, with some guppy grass and weekly water changes. Last night I noticed that he was laying on the gravel, not movnig. He moves if I turn the vase, but he hasn't come to the top yet as far as I can tell. He is still breathing, but barely. Don't bettas have to come to the top for air? Should I let him go or put him out of his misery?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Should I let him go or put him out of his misery?
I just left a friend's house.

They have a 3 yr old Betta...probably 4 years old...

Laying on the rocks...barely surfacing to grab air.

Let the creature die with dignity.

Give him a nice cremony and wish him my best when he goes to the big aquarium in the sky.

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
It may be part of the normal aging process. A lot of people seem to have this problem after a year of having their betta. My cousin's betta has been with us for over two years, he has spent the last year just laying on the bottom, hanging out, doesn't eat a whole lot, but doesn't show any other signs of distress... I dunno

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Yeah :( I cleaned out his vase and am debating whether I want to get another one or not. I didn't really want him, but he was making a bubble nest at Walmart and looked so cramped in his tiny little cup that I couldn't resist. I'm sure I'll find another one that I can't resist next time I am at the lfs.