my betta?! its acting weird!

i dont know if this is a disease so im going to put it in the betta forum, but my betta is constantly at the surface, you may think that is no biggy, but it seems that he cant swim downwards. he tries but hes like a ballon filled with helium and your trying to make it go underwater. then if he doesnt move but just lazes there, he begins to go horizontal. one side goes faces down while the other faces up, please help me!

Mar 11, 2003
It sounds like Swim Bladder Disorder. This is generally caused by over feeding but is NOT fatal if treated. I would clean your betta's water partially and quit feeding it for today and tomorrow. Lower the water 1/2 way to make it easy for him to get to the surface/bottom with out having to bobble around. If he gets better, let me know, because it may be something else if he doesn't.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I agree with Alexa, sounds like swim bladder. Their swim-blader is what they use to balance themselves under water, so if they get over-fed (fat) or too constipated, their stomacs and intestines swell and it deforms their swim bladder so they cannot balance themselves.

Bettas can and DO over-eat. You need to cut back on the food intake generally, and skip a few days feeding right now.

I try to skip at least one day a week for my bettas, so they loose some weight and dont get constipated.

Again, lower the water, skip food for two WHOLE days, and give plenty of care and attention.

Keep us posted!

Mar 11, 2003
He's probably just tired of trying to balance himself out when he had SBD. Just keep him off food for tomorrow too. They usually do that with their fins when they are exhausted.

Alexa