My betta TOTALLY changed colors!

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
i almost thought i had grabbed the wrong fish out of the tank!!! i know bettas change colors- but i didn't know it was this dramatic. she went from a solid black color with blue and red tail and fins to a sourt of honey brown color with black horizontal stripes and same colored fins and tail. the fins and tail are the only way i recognize her. is this normal??

Jan 12, 2005
England
Visit site
i am taking that this is a female betta,bettas change colours alot its not uncommon but im guessing due to the stripes that this fish is stressed.Betta females get stripes or bars when they are stressed or realy to breed.What size take is she in and what with?how long have you had her and is she near any male bettas?

Mar 11, 2003
It doesn't sound like they are breeding stripes. Usually with those, they are vertical and the females keep their color. It does sound more of like a stress issue...unless she just woke up. Horizontal stipes = stress, or a sleeping betta.

Alexa

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
hm.. she went back to her normal colors about 20 minutes after i posted this message... i guess she was just stressed. she was in a 10 gallon with 3 other female bettas, but she was being HORRIBLY mean to them so i took them out and put her back in her jar. i just released her back into the 10 gallon today and they're all doing fine.