my betta's stomach...

mykoe817

Large Fish
Oct 19, 2004
Santa ana, california
my betta stomach's has gottan faily large to where the scales are like poping outward.. whats wrong with him? i took him out into his own bowl now... he seems to b acting fine just large.... please help me i dont want to lose him... blah.

Sprite42

Medium Fish
Jan 12, 2004
Arkansas
Visit site
Do his scales make him have a pinecone look? Is it just his belly that is large, or does his whole body seem to be swollen?

If it is just his belly, he may be constipated. What do you feed him?

If he looks more like a pinecone and his whole body seems to be a little swollen, too, I would tend to think it is dropsy. Dropsy is very hard to treat and doesn't usually have a good recovery rate.

What are your water params? How do you house him? WHat do you feed him? And, how long have you had him?

Is that enough questions yet? LOL

mykoe817

Large Fish
Oct 19, 2004
Santa ana, california
water are all normal. compared to the readings i get i dont have the numeric ones i have the color coded and i feed him betta bio or something like that... now he's in a bowl that i placed in the tank so the water temp would b 75-80 F, he was in my community tank with gourmis, now seperated and i've had him for liek 4 months. imma try and stop feeding him for a day or two and see... should i do that?? :confused:

Sprite42

Medium Fish
Jan 12, 2004
Arkansas
Visit site
If he doesn't have a pinecone look to him, he very well may be constipated.

I would fast him for 48 hours and then give him a bit of green pea, the no salt added kind. Remove the outer shell.

Make sure he can get to the top of the water as he is an air breather and breathes from the surface.

It is not a good idea to keep bettas and gouramis in the same tank. THey are in the same family and will most likely harass each other. HOw big is your tank? If your boy is not constipated, he may be ill as a result of stress. In this case, it might be a good idea to move him to his own place away from the other fish.