My bicolor angel has ich.HELP

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
does anyone have any good treatments.In the tank I have 2 Clarki Clownfish,1 yellow tang,1 lionfish,the bicolor angel.4 sea anemones,3 live rocks,and a sea star.I don't have a quarantine tank but can move my oscars in with my pacu and make their tank a quarantine/hospital tank(I was going to buy them another tank anyway).Right now I only my bicolor angel has it but I'm pretty sure my other fish will follow.I want to ask the lfs if they can hold my sea anemones and live rock while I medicate the tank but don't think they will do it.I can also move my sea anemones and live rock to the quarantine tank and medicate the main tank.Or I could buy 2 cleaner wrasses and hope they clean the ick.Can anyone tell me how good each of these ideas are and can you also give my some ideas.And also if I have to medicate the main tank will a protein skimmer take the medication out of the water?

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
For medication, copper works good for ich. I used Seachem's version of it just a few weeks ago and it cleared my problem. You can't wait long enough to see if the Wrasses would work. I would somehow get your fish in a tank by themselves as fast as possible to keep it from getting worse. If it gets bad, you can do freshwater dips on each of the fish. If you have to, go buy a new tank, they arent terribly expensive, compared to the cost of all your fish, and put them in the new tank. I would take your live rock, sea anemones, and your substrate all out and medicate your main tank. Copper is gonna kill off benenficial bacteria as well, so I would take the substrate out, whatever it may be. Wait 4-6 weeks, and if you used your main tank to treat, take the carbon out, it removes copper. Did you QT the angel before you put him in? I learned my lesson the hard way. Being new to SW, I had a Perc and a Coral Beauty, then dropped a Royal Gramma in and infected the whole tank with ich, and the Gramma died from velvet. So needless to say, I definitely have a QT tank now. Good luck!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What are you going to do when the ich has cleared up - let the cleaners starve to death - that's what usually happens reputedly. Copper, hospital, 6 to 8 fallow - you know it works.. Don't even think about medicating the main tank- if it's effective against ich it will kill the inverts. Use a rubbermaid as a hospital tank. I've never tried formalin by the way - do some research and see if it's a bit safer than copper with the centropyge.
Tough luck. What do you use for your main filtration by the way - 3 live rocks isn't much, unless they'e real big

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Never mind,My bicolor angel died,but it didn't seem to affected my other fish(I've never seen a fish die so fast from ich).I made one of my old tanks a quarantine saltwater tank so hopefully this won't happen again.

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
I doubt your angel died from ich, he probably had Oodinium, which looks like a white powder like ich, but the eyes become glazed over as well. This disease results from either poor water quality or the fish did not like it's surroundings. That is what my Royal Gramma died. The disease is internal, I think bacterial, but I am not sure. When my Gramma died, he was almost gasping for air, that is one sign, not sure about the rest though.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Yeah,I forgot to mention that the lfs said it wasn't ich.Isn't marine ich supposed to be black(that's what the lfs said).It was little white spots but the eyes weren't glazed or anything.It was perfectly healthy except for the white spots.I tried the copper fresh water dip but I guess it was too late.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
GO to wetwebmedia and look at pictures of ich, oodinium and brooklynella. You now know your lfs is full of it.
Dipping is not a great cure for ich. You have to do it right, matching temp and pH, else it's frequently fatal to the fish. It's stressful anyway. I'm always really nervous doing it.

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
The treatments they recommend work 90% of the time.Since I had just set up the treatment tank the same day it got the stuff,I had to wait until the temperatures matched so it wouldn't get shocked(also I did match the ph) but since I had accidently put just cold water in the tank it took all day to match the temperature which in turn let the angel get much,much worse really fast(when I left for work it was swimming fine,at night when I arrived it was lying down on its side).