My Bottom Feeder is floating (but still alive)

Jan 5, 2006
Help!

I did a brief search on these forums and on Google but I couldn't find an answer that really answered my question.

I have a 10 gal. fish tank that's filled halfway. The tank originally contained only two firebellied toads, but I added a bottom feeder (not quite sure of the exact type) about 2 weeks ago to help keep the aquarium clean.

When I purchased the fish at Petsmart I was told that there shouldn't be a problem adding the fish to the tank along with the toads.

And until today there hasn't really been a problem.

However, I just checked the tank and the bottom feeder is floating just below the surface, a behavior I haven't ever observed before. The fish is still alive, but not moving. He's just...floating.

Sounds like a dying fish, but I'm not sure. But the bigger question is, how did this happen, and how do I prevent this from happening again?

I'm guessing it has to with the diet. The tank contains two aquatic plants which the pet store employee told me should be good enough to nurish the fish. But I'm having doubts about that, as most of the articles I've looked through seem to suggest to feed the fish some type of fish food.

The specs of the tank are:

10 gallon tank filled up halfway with purified water.

Everytime I add some water to the tank I put in a few drops of stress coating.

There are:

two aquatic plants in the tank (one fully submerged, one only partially).

A floating platform for the frogs.

A water pump.

Some aquatic rocks on the bottom.

Please let me know if any of you have some insights into what's going on.

Thanks,

Mark Clermont

bandito41

Large Fish
Dec 6, 2005
Coolville, Ohio
Do you do water changes? The fish could be suffering from high ammonia or some chemical inbalance if you don't. What does the bottom feeder look like? Bottom feeder is very general term and could mean anything from cory cats, and pictus cats to plecos and loaches.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Also you are right in thinking you should be feeding it. What it needs to be fed very much depends on what it is. Can you give a description of what it looks like? Also is the tank filtered and heated?