my catfish has gone bananas

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
My pictus cat "Crackers" has decidely gone bananas. He used to just hang out in the caves and venture out sometimes. But I noticed yesterday that he spends all day swimming up one side of the tank and then halfway across the back of the tank. He only swims up and down one side, and only halfway across. He never goes the whole way. He looks healthy, eats well and seems to be doing fine other than this new behavior. Is this normal? Or has my Crackers lost his crackers

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not really sure... fish are wierd sometimes. I have one particular black kuhli loach, that every couple of weeks or so will spend a few hours doing circles halfway up the side or front of the tank... then he settles down again for a while.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Could it be anything to do with the size the tank?? You have a slightly small tank and you have fish that require alot of swimming room and/or that get of good size. How big are your fish right now??

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
My mom's Pictus was exactly the same way, he/she would normally hide out all daym then he/she started doing the up the glass thing... week later, he/she died. :( Keep a close eye out and I hope your case has a different outcome.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
It could be tank size, but for the most part all sounds well. The one thing to look for is crazy spining. You will know it when you see it. If that happens, your fish is about to die, and afterward, redo the tank. You have a bacteria that infects the brain of the fish, and anything you put in that water will get it.

That doesnt sound like your problem though. It just sounds like your fish is needing more space to grow.*SUNSMILE*

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
oly moly..
im in the process of cycling a 200g for them to move into. ive had a few questions on if i should move everyone to the big tank, or just the sharks and crackers and leave the gouramis in the 35g.
thanks for the responses.. i'll definently be watching him closesly.. i had one fish pass on and i cried lol.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
KyleBradley said:
Fell fortunate..at least you see your catfish. I've got 4 upside down catfish that I think are still in my tank.
Well, I don't know about the pictus, but I usually see atleast two of my 3 upside down catfish and there's plenty of room for all of them to hide. Some are just less "social" than others shall we say and over time that can change. Curious with the catfish, maybe it's finally ready to "swim with the other fishes."

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
kristalAK said:
oly moly..
im in the process of cycling a 200g for them to move into. ive had a few questions on if i should move everyone to the big tank, or just the sharks and crackers and leave the gouramis in the 35g.
thanks for the responses.. i'll definently be watching him closesly.. i had one fish pass on and i cried lol.

WOW!! A 200g tank! That's my dream tank.. I've just secured a deal on a 90-gallon and I thought was was hot sh*t!! Emasculated once again!!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Pictus cats are really spastic fish. Mine spends most of the day in one spot in the back of the tank swimming in place. I know he doesn't do it all the time because when I switch up their schedule and its still dark out he's out zoooming the length of the tank to beat the band. Haven't quite figured him out :) I'd say you need to give Crackers as much space as you can...but obviously not till that tank is cycled. I think it'll be ok.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
definently a very very not cost friendly investment, but it will make my fish and my son happy. and i figured with having fish that will require alot of room, might as well go big one rather than constantly upgrading. but then if i did that i could have a bunch of tanks.. see now i didnt think of that before
8-\
another quick Q, i read that pictus like to school, since he's been alone for about 2 months, could i safely give him some buddies without them being rude to eachother?