My Convict and Jeweled Cichlid

Mar 26, 2005
Wa. State
I have a convict (2.5") and a jeweled cichlid (same size) paired up in a 30 gallon tank. Minimal substrate with two hiding places (rock/cave dwellings) and freshwater plants (along with that ever-so-popular pond backdrop!!). Seems the jeweled cichlid is picking on the convict to where his tail is looking a little ragged.

Any suggestions? Add another convict? Another jeweled cichlid? None at all? A bigger tank is not in order right now, so I need the best advice on what I have to work with for the moment!

Look at the attachment below....it's sort of a lame pic, but at least it'll give someone an idea of what's inside (....er, besides the two fish....).

Tanks.

Attachments

Mar 26, 2005
Wa. State
I've heard that the two species are compatible.....maybe in odd numbers, and in a larger tank though? ....oh, and the little fishy condos are on either side of the tank....
Anyone have a better ratio on how I may keep both fish? Or is the convicts tail a real issue? :)

Jul 23, 2004
Visit site
i believe that if you got a female convict, presuming that yours now is a male, that your convict would heal, and your jewel would be the one suffering! convicts mate like,
umm, rabbits, and in the process, become very territorial! are these the only fish in the tank? otherwise nice setup!

Brad

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
There more cichlids that you have the less likely it is for one to be singled out and get picked on (most of the time). I think that if you added another fish or 2 of a different species (cichlid of course) that things might settle down. I have 5 Cichlids in my 30 and there is no fighting. A little chsing but that is it. Good Luck!

Mar 26, 2005
Wa. State
guppy_newbe said:
There more cichlids that you have the less likely it is for one to be singled out and get picked on (most of the time). I think that if you added another fish or 2 of a different species (cichlid of course) that things might settle down. I have 5 Cichlids in my 30 and there is no fighting. A little chsing but that is it. Good Luck!
I thought jeweled cichlids were from S. America....they can be put in with African Cichlids? I've been pooyed on for mentioning that before. Oh, the laws of the fishery sort. ....you did say 5 African Cichlids, right...oops, lemme check again...