My Dempsey's run

Jan 30, 2009
Hello all, I have two Dempsey's in my 55 gallon tank, I have had them for 5 months. They both stay hidden underneath a cave I have inside the tank. They only come out when I drop food in the tank, even still they are hesitant to get the food unless I move away from the tank. Anytime I go near the tank they quickly run and hide. How do I get them to be comfortable with me?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First off, Welcome!

Do you have any other fish in the tank with them?

1)If no, alot of predatory/larger fish gauge how safe the surroundings are by the activity of smaller fish. Probably would be worth droping in some Dithers. Before I recommend what type though... How big are the Dempsey's?

2)If yes, what types and size?

3)And either way, what cover do they have (decorations)? It's a bit counter intuitive but the more there is, the more comfortable a fish will be, the more likely they will come out.

Chris

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Your fish run? Lol. I agree though, the more hiding places, the more comfortable they will feel. Also, they should each have at least one hiding spot each, in case they get aggressive toward each other as they grow. How about turning the light off for a bit or covering one end (maybe a third) of the tank? Some fish will come out more if it is dark.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Another thing I have found that makes fish more comfortable coming out is to float a few plastic plants at the surface. In the wild they usually have things floating above them for cover.

Jan 30, 2009
sprinting dempseys

First off, Welcome!

Do you have any other fish in the tank with them?

1)If no, alot of predatory/larger fish gauge how safe the surroundings are by the activity of smaller fish. Probably would be worth droping in some Dithers. Before I recommend what type though... How big are the Dempsey's?

2)If yes, what types and size?

3)And either way, what cover do they have (decorations)? It's a bit counter intuitive but the more there is, the more comfortable a fish will be, the more likely they will come out.

Chris
Thanks for the reply. I got them at the same time. At that time they were the same size; however, one is now 3 and a half inches and the smaller one is about an half inch shorter. I have three caves but they both stay in the same one all day.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So no other fish then?

At those sizes you could probably go with a small school of Giant Danio's. They will *probably* be a snack eventually but at least they are cheap and mass produced. They are also fast so that gives them a better chance.

Also I agree with MissFishy, some floating cover and more decorations wouldn't be a bad idea.

Chris