my divided Betta tank

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
I haven't posted on this site in quite away. So I figured I'd post some pictures of my Bettas and there home. The tank picture is about 3 months old. I have since removed the driftwood and the algae, but I still haven't taken updated pictures of it. If I get around to it, I'll post updated tank pics.

Attachments

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
Yep, I cut the divider exactly to the shape of the driftwood. Or so I thought.
There was one small opening in the back, that both of my Bettas enjoyed squeezing through.
Of course that resulted in some seriously shredded fins. You can see in the pictures that their fins did completely grow back, but not perfectly.
Instead of risking more attacks, I just removed the driftwood and put in a full mesh divider.

timmie2

Small Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Cool betta, and tank. My 10g is divided like that too, without the driftwood. Do you have something on the bottom of the tank, or is it bare-bottom?
Timmie2

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
Thanks for all the positive comments!

I do not have any substrate in this tank, it's a bare bottom.

I originally had play sand in there but the Bettas were having problems with the sand. Even though nobody else that I talked to thought sand would be a problem.
It seemed like the tiny sand particles where getting stuck in the fins of the Bettas. And that ended up causing the fins to become very stiff.
Instead of risking losing the Bettas, I just decided to remove the sand and leave it bare.
Then with the help of some Melafix the fins gradually went back to normal. And I haven't had a problem since, so I know 100% that the sand caused my problems with the Bettas.(Just as a side note, all of my other tanks have sand and I've never had a problem with other types of fish.)