My empty 10 gallon tank is lonely

Nov 22, 2009
I have a ten gallon tank that's all set up and in need of fish for a community. I was thinking of getting half a dozen red platy fish and two or three panda cory catfish. Is this a good idea?

I don't have a heater in this tank and have everything else.

Stillness

Medium Fish
Feb 21, 2009
Well, you really need a heater. Even though the room the tank is in might be warm enough etc., but the reason that heaters are the most important is to keep the temp stable. in terms of your stocking I'd go with 4 platys and 3-4 cories. The problem with cories is they like to school. So, IMO, I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you introduce them slowly and keep regular water changes. I'd recommend 20-30% every week b/c of the fact that the tank really would be overstocked. Just jeep an eye on your parameters.

Good Luck!

Nov 22, 2009
Well, you really need a heater. Even though the room the tank is in might be warm enough etc., but the reason that heaters are the most important is to keep the temp stable. in terms of your stocking I'd go with 4 platys and 3-4 cories. The problem with cories is they like to school. So, IMO, I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you introduce them slowly and keep regular water changes. I'd recommend 20-30% every week b/c of the fact that the tank really would be overstocked. Just jeep an eye on your parameters.

Good Luck!
Okay I can get a heater but I have to get money first. How much are cories and platies?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
see if you can stay with even smaller fish than those...the up side it that youll be ableto have much more, and your tank will look more proportional.
Some i'd use for my 10 gal would be neon tetra, and pigmy cory. that way i/you can have around 7 neons and 8 cories in there. add shrimp if you like more variety :)

You dont have to go w/ neons. any small tetra or rasbora species ill do. try to pick fish that dont grow up to 2" or over. keep them around 1"

Nov 22, 2009
see if you can stay with even smaller fish than those...the up side it that youll be ableto have much more, and your tank will look more proportional.
Some i'd use for my 10 gal would be neon tetra, and pigmy cory. that way i/you can have around 7 neons and 8 cories in there. add shrimp if you like more variety :)

You dont have to go w/ neons. any small tetra or rasbora species ill do. try to pick fish that dont grow up to 2" or over. keep them around 1"
Okay I will do that, researching again, mhahaha mahahaahah ops. OKay so I have alredy looked into neon tetra so that's off my researching list and I haven looked into pigmy cory so that's on my research list.

So 8 cories and 7 tetras got it.

Research list:

- Pigmy Cory

That's it so far.

Nov 22, 2009
After finding sites that I like:

Dwarf Corydoras, Pygmy Corydoras, Tail Spot Pygmy Catfish, Mini Spotlight Corydoras
[Pictures] Corydoras hastatus
SYN: Microcorydoras hastatus
PD: The body of the Dwarf Corydoras is slightly more elongated than the "typical" Corydoras shape. The body is translucent and white to pale green in color. The caudal peduncle is marked with black spot which is surrounded by a thin white marking. A thin black line extends from the midsection back to the black marking on the caudal peduncle.
SIZE: To 1" (2.5 cm)
SS: None
H: Along banks of small-moving tributaries of the Paraguay and Amazon rivers. South America; Mato Grosso, Brazil
A: middle. The Dwarf Catfish is a member of a small group of Corydoras catfish that swim in mid-water. This group also includes C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus ,
TANK: 16" (60 cm) or 5 gallons (19 L). The tank should be heavily planted to provide hiding places for this small catfish. Although this Corydoras is a mid-water swimmer, a fine gravel or sand substrate should be used as the Dwarf Corydoras will occasionally burrow. This catfish enjoys swimming into a moderate current that can be created by a power or canister filter. The Dwarf Corydoras occasionally likes to rest on a flat stone or broad leafed plant. Use bright lighting.
WATER: pH 6-7.8 (7.0); 2-20 dH (10); 75-82°F (24-28°C)
SB: A peaceful fish that can be kept in a community tank with small and peaceful fish. This schooling fish should be kept in groups of eight or more. Do not combine with medium to large sized fish as this cory is an easy meal.
SB: Small tetras, Apistogramma , Corydoras, Peckoltia, Colisa
FOOD: Small live foods; small aquatic insects, white worms, Tubifex , Brine Shrimp, insect larvae; tablets; small flakes; will nibble algae
SC: Males are usually not more than 3 / 4 " (1.9 cm), while females reach 1.2 (3 cm) and are plumper.
B: Spawning is initiated by the addition of cooler water. The eggs are deposited in Java moss. Transfer the eggs to a rearing tank. Start feeding with Artemia .
BP: 7. This catfish is a fairly difficult to breed.
DC: 4. A hardy fish recommended for most community tanks with smaller fish.

and

The neon tetra is by far one of the best community fish there is on the market. Kept in a school of 6 or more, these little guys are an awesome spectacle swimming around the aquarium and chasing each other back and forth. Neons are extremely peaceful and rather small, therefore shouldn't be kept with very large fish which might find it an appetizing meal. In my experience with neons they tend to be an adaptable fish which can tolerate a pH of 5.0 but it is best to have pH of about 7.0. Also, they feed on the basic flake food but should also get occasional feedings of tubifex worms and frozen brine shrimp. A feeding of live foods once in a while is also suggested but not neccessary. When kept under good conditions the neon tetra is a beautiful and awesome addition to any community aquarium.

So far...

Stillness

Medium Fish
Feb 21, 2009
Only thing is that neons are very finicky when it comes to water quality, so keep a close eye on the situation or you'll have some dead fish. Eight cories seems a bit much. Not only bio-load wise but it is redundant. Two species of fish really isn't all that interesting, in my opinion. If I were you I'd get 3 cories 5-6 neons (if that's what you want) and that leaves a little room (w/ regular water changes) for a small centerpiece fish and/or a/some (respectively) shrimp. A dwarf gourami would be pushing it but keep up on the water changes and you should be fine.

All a matter of personal choice.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
8 would be max i would say. i wouldnt get less than 5 though, they enjoy their own company, and theyre very small...so they will not be a problem if you change the water.

Thats funny,
5 neons, 5 pygmy cories and 1 dwarf gourami is one of the community suggestions on the AqAdvisor. i 'd say that'll work well in a low-planted tank.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
If you don't want neons, have a look at pristella tetras. They're roughly the same size, and although they don't look like the most colourful fish in the world they have extremely interesting shoaling behaviour, and when healthy their fins just shine with colour, they're a lovely fish!