my female Betta needs help

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
My baby girl is in a bit of a rut...about af month ago I noticed what looked like a cut, so I treated the tank with melafix to help it get better...unfortunatly it didn't so I took her out and have her in her own 2g home....and have been treating her with betta remedy and salt(yes aquarium salt just in case someone wants to ask...lol)....today I was taking a look at her and noticed what looks like fish bones coming out of her back...now does anyone think I can treat it or is it a hopeless cause..she is still eating but I don't want her to be in anymore pain than needed...Please help I feel horrible leaving her like this

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I read up on the fin/body rot and it has some of the same symptoms but it didn't go after the fins first it started with the body as a cut......I'm going to do everything possible to help her but I can only let her suffer for so long....:(

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Jungle Anti-Fungus or Maracyn MIGHT kill the infection. Melafix/Bettafix/Bettamax are only mild treatments, they are not good substitutes for a true antibiotic or fungus medicine.

Sorry to hear about your girl :(

Oct 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Some of you may not agree with this but The way i treated a bad case of fin rot was; i seperated the fish from the other fish then put a pinch of salt in the water!

My fish healed quite quickly!!

Hope your fish gets betta!

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
well just salt isn't gonna work on something as serious as fin rot....I will have to pick up some of the stuff you said Iggy...now one thing I need to know is does she need a filter in there when I treat her with that stuff or is she okay in a 2g tank(plastic)

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Allright so I picked up a teeny tiny aquarium to put her into, I think its a 3 or 4g not quite sure cause I got it at a flea market, and have now started the maroxy treatment...So everyone cross their fingers and say a little prayer for her and hopefully in a weeks time she'll be good as new.....I noticed though when ever I try to move her she bleeds from her sore, and eveytime it worries me a little more....within a minute or 2 the bleeding stops.....is that just because its an open wound or do you think it could be something else?????

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi AL, horizontal means fear most times. She just may be scared of her new surroundings, which is normal.

Whenever you treat a tank its a good idea to remove the carbon filter. The quaranteen tank is a good idea. Make only small water changes as perscribed by the medicine.

Keep treating her, try not to handle her anymore if you can, and keep her company, keep her engaged buy visiting and talking, it made a big difference when Finchy got really ill.

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Well unfortunatly I found my baby girl dead today...she was over come by body fungus.. I was in the field for the last couple days and the neighbour was feeding them and my cats and he doesn't know about fish so he didn't realize what was wrong....but hey at least she's not hurting anymore.....RIP cranky pants....thats what I called her cause she was a cranky fish, beating up on the others....lol