My female is making a bubble nest o_O

pillowchii

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2005
I have a vibrantly colored little female betta splendens that I am currently conditioning for breeding. But this morning when I went to go give them their brecky, I saw she'd built herself a little bubblenest. Actually, it was even better than any of the ones the males had made!

Now, I know what you're all thinking. She is NOT a plakat male. I doublechecked, just in case, and yep...definitely female o_O
I've never seen any other girl betta of mine do this. Anyone else ever had experiences with a "crossdressing" female?

Emg

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2005
Ct.
I would bet that it's a male......the first "female" betta I bought...turned out to be a short fin male. It was a beautiful royal blue. What I look for to tell are the longer ventral fins in the males...and no ovipostitor. Females definitly have a different shape to thier bodies as well...though I'm not sure how to explain the difference...it's just something you know when you look at them.

Put that girl/boy next to a definitly male betta and see if you start seeing a rounder belly and ovipositor poking out after awhile. ;)

pillowchii

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2005
She does have an ovipositor. I always check for that when I buy new females for my breeding stock ^_~ She has REALLY good color, I'm going to try breeding her with my crowntail mustard gas male. I can't find any crowntail females......do you think at least SOME of the fry will have the trait passed down to them?

Last edited: