My First Ever Sump/Refugeium , What you think ? Pic Intense

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
Well i getting close to completeing my diy project i started a month ago .

I wanted to make a sump/refuge for my 29 gallon tank and repalce the display tank with a new tank with no scratchs on the inside . anyways , this is what i did . only a 10 gallon will fit in my stand . but i will be abale to fit my heater , temp probe , and aqua c remors in the sump .

all that will be left in the display will be a hydor korlina #2for added flow and a maxijet 900 for behind rock flow . and ofcourse a overflow box and directnal return.

I useded a pentair quite one 3000 for a return pump , ( this Pump is way underrated i have to thorttle it back so much , i could of got away with alot less power pump , but it will be perfect for when i upgrade to a 55 gallon and turn this current 29 into the sump/refuge ) . that will be a year from now but i firgure ill buy ahead. It is all 1" soft pluming with about 36 " of head and one 1" ball valve . i used a directnal return form marinedepot for $7.99. it works good just need to drill a hole for power outages .

i used a quiteflo 600 form hurricane filters . its works good and its quite.

the 10 g sump and refugeium was redesigned since the pic . i took out the bubble wall and made a small 3 inch ledge and the rest of the way up with eggcrate . the ledge will stop sand form going into the sump and the eggcrate stops the chateo from getting into the sump . i will post a new pic of the sump/refuge tommrow . but for now here is the current pics . enjoy . and please any comments welcome . ;)

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
heres the updated design . i tested it and works great . i now only have it throttled back to 40 % now . old design it was only maybe at 10 % and a trickle to keep up with the design of the sump/refuge .

now its more free flowing . and will add a 2-3 " sand bed and cheato .

and with my remora on the back will have good flow to throw the cheato around and make sure it tumbles around . i will put some LR rubble in the bubble towe on the bottom . And put some LR rubble under where the remora will overflow into the refuge so it does not stir up the sand .

will this work . any thoughts ? thanks

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
itll totally work and looks great!! just one question...why did u take the bubble wall out?? arnt u afraid of bubbles being pumped back into the display??

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
when it was like the first way i had it it would suck the sump area dry and the it really sucked buubles then . i guess the 10 gallon tank is to small to make baffles b/c it makes it flow slow way down . i had to alost turn the flow down to 100 gph so the sump would stay full enough to keep the pump fully sumerdged .

i pulled the pump out and stuck it in the main area the refuge part . and all the sudden i cant turn the flow up and flows better . so i did the redesign .

i also drilled two syphon brak holes into the return pipes works great . will never overfill .

BTW the first pic the pump was off . or you see how low the sump part got down .

Last edited:

spllouder

Large Fish
Aug 19, 2007
Springfield MO
itll totally work and looks great!! just one question...why did u take the bubble wall out?? arnt u afraid of bubbles being pumped back into the display??

the bubble tower works great hardly no bubbles get out there , there little bit that does will hopefully and should get caught buy the cheato .*BOUNCINGS

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the way u have it now it looks like your return and skimmer are in the same section which you have to watch carefully so that it doesnt get low enough to screw with your skimmer...u may wanna look into an ATO