My first tank (long)

burgess

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Wigan, England, Britain
Hey there,

A few weeks ago my friend told me that he wanted to get rid of his 2nd tank because his fiance didnt want it anymore, she had grown fond of the 200 gallon discus tank and all but abandoned the 2nd tank. I snapped at the chance of owning a 120 gallon tank although I had never owned a tank before, many friends have tanks but I have always seen caring for a tank as a hard job and was scared that I would kill the fish.

About 20 days ago I went to his house to collect the tank, we soon finished loading the car and I was about to drive off when he reminded me to "get the fish". I had assumed he was just given me an "empty tank" but that wasn't the case . He came outside with a large bag containing 2 fish.

In the few weeks between him telling me about the tank and actually getting it I had ideas in my head of keeping a few tetras and maybe a couple of bottom feeders but this was about to come to an end. After setting the tank up and releasing these poor fish into un-cycled water he phoned to chat about keeping fish. He told me that these were cichlids and that he had to remove them from tank 1 when the discus moved in because the cichlids kicked their asses. After a bit of research I realised that I couldnt put tetras in the tank and felt a little downbeat. A few days later I went to the local aquarium and found keyhole cichlids and silver dollars living happily together so I bought 3 of each.

I would like to know what type of cichlid the original 2 are now because Im a little confused . One of them is yellow with black stripes and the other is blue with black stripes. I have searched around and really cant find an answer. The fish are doing well because the are more colorful and active than when I got them but I was wondering if anyone could help me.

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
That's pretty vauge for identifying a fish ;)

Any way you could get a picture? Even a blurry cell-phone pic would help.

Probably the most common yellow cichlid in the hobby is the Yellow Lab ("Labidochromis caeruleus"). Check out this link for some pictures

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php

As far as the blue one goes...

Maybe an "electric blue"? (that's a trade name applied to a couple species, but here's a typical example:

http://www.rainbowaquatics.com/RA_Files/Images/Haps/Electric Blue Ahli.jpg

As far as the new tank setup goes, did you take the filters and all that, I assume? If so, the tank didn't need to cycle. The water isn't what "cycles", it's the filter. So as long as the filter stayed wet, it wouldn't need to "re-cycle"

~JW

burgess

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Wigan, England, Britain
The keyholes seem to be holding their own at the moment and often beat the large cichlids to the food. The tank was tranported with about 30% of the original water and all the original filter is in place from what i understand cichlids are quite hardy and can withstand this.

I will have photos within the hour.

cheers

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
"Cichlid" encompasses a _very_ wide range of fish. To say they are, as a group, "hardy" wouldn't be quite right.

Some species are quite hardy, others are quite fragile.

They can also have very different water requirements. The fish I listed about are cichlids from Lake Malawi in Africa. They require hard water with a pH of 8.0+. Keyholes and Silver Dollars like a pH in a 6.0-7.0 range.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Those are almost certainly the two species I posted above.

Both fish are from Lake Malawi, and as I said above, will appreciate harder, higher pH water, but they'll get by ok without it. Fish are quite adaptable. As long as their habitat remains stable, they're pretty good at adjusting to it.

Neither of those species are hugely aggressive (that's not saying certain specimens might not be... just like some people), and as long as there is enough room in the tank for everybody to have their own space, all should be good.

If you're looking for some sort of smaller fish (like tetras), I would recommend danios or barbs. There are a couple species of both, and a quick google should give you some idea. Both of those groups should be fine in that tank, give it some activity, and not harass the Keyholes too much (be sure to get a big enough group of them that they don't try to "recruit" other fish to join the school... they tend to put the Marines to shame as far as pushy recruitment goes...)

~JW

burgess

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Wigan, England, Britain
I only feel stupid because I care. After what my friend said I believed that i could give them a better home. He said that he hadnt changed the water in 4 months and in the tank there were only 2 fish. They seem happier now, I think maybe I should give it a week or two and then think about adding maybe 2 or 3 more keyholes because they seem to school a lot. Schooling fish have a better chance of avoiding larger fish from what I have read and I quite like the appearance and behaviour of the keyholes.
Besides the two larger fish appear to be female and spend most of their time defending their patch. The larger yellow cichlid is keen to defend the plant pot whilst the blue cichlid has made a tunnel under the wood, from what I nknow they are both building places for eggs? It will be a long time until I go down that road with my fish.

thank you all

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
FJ, in that post, wayne outlines two major areas of concern. Water chemistry, and aggression. You'll note that I addressed both of those above.

I'm not saying the water chemistry conditions are going to be ideal, but if well cared for, those fish are gonna have a better life than 90% of the fish out there. I shudder to think how many "mixed african cichlids" are purchased at wal-mart, destined for a 10g starter kit.

As far as aggression goes, in a 125g, that it fairly understocked at this point, I don't think it's much of a concern. There is a _lot_ of room in that tank for fish to stay out of each other's way.

Posting helpful criticism and advice is one thing. Posting simply to tell someone they're doing it wrong, and not offering advice or explanation, is something else entirely...

~JW

P.S. Regarding the "building places for eggs", both the Malawian species are mouth-brooders, which means they carry the eggs (and for the first week or so, even the hatched fry) in their mouth. After the mom spits the fry, they will tend to hang out in a sheltered area for a few days.

Last edited:

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I didn't mean to come across as critical - just wanted to direct burgess to yet another source of information about his new fish.

I agree that the tank will probably work, but I am somewhat concerned about the keyholes long term. In a tank that size, though, I agree that they'll probably be ok, although, I typically wouldn't advise forcing fish into non-typical water parameters - especially with so many Malawian stocking options in a tank that size. It can be done, I just would shy away from it.

Good luck, burgess - let us know how it goes. Sounds like you're off to a pretty good start.

(Just FYI, if my posts seemed terse - I was posting from my phone in traffic, so I didn't have time to fully explain - sorry if it came off as harsh).

burgess

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2006
Wigan, England, Britain
You know what, I got more good info off you people than I got from 4 Aquariums and FWJ you really didnt seem harsh. I love this site, I had so many questions but I have not bothered asking most as they have already been mentioned in older posts. The tank seems pretty stable at the moment and Im grateful to you all for your help.