My fish are dying and I don't know why!

Jan 17, 2006
Hi there!

I am a newbie to myfishtank.net.....I am hoping someone out there can help me! My fish have been dying in the past two days. I suspect there might be some fighting between my Gouramis. My largest Gourami's left fin is red, frayed and inopperative and it looks like it has some red marks on it's body. I found 2 dead smaller Gouramis and 3 dead tetra. I did notice that on one of my Gold Gourami's posterior end had a red mark. I am not sure if it a disease that is killing my fish, or if fighting is the cause of death in the tank. What do you think???

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Can you give us more info about your tank? Size, number and kinds of fish, what kind of gouramis. Have you tested the water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Welcome to the tank *BOUNCINGS

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Welcome!
It sounds as though you have learned the hard way that you cant keep Gouramies together. Gold ones can be very aggressive. However, more info will help us in determining your problem.
Sorry about your loses.

Jan 17, 2006
The tank has not been cycled as of recent. Do you have any suggestions for a novice like me, as to how I can control the damage in the tank. I don't want to lose anymore fish.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You need to read the cycling stickies on the top of this forum.

You definitely need to get some testing kits so you can know your water values at least for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for the time being.

I would start with a large water change, at least half, being sure to match the tank temperature and dechlorinate the water before you add it back in. Take your filter media out and swish it around in one of the buckets of water you remove from the tank and pop the media back into the filter. (don't change filter pads until they are literally falling apart)