my fish die one after another,pls help

Apr 17, 2009
hi to everyone her.we have set a new fish tank and put 6 neon tetras and 4 guppies.in 24 h 1 neon and 2 female guppy died...my daughter cried so much..i do not knopw what we are doing wrong...the tap water here is too hard with too much limescale bt we put the recommended Cycle and Aqua+ waited like 3-4 days for the water to settle then put the fish in...please if anyone could advise as we are really upset...thank you so much in advance

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
first of all, welcome to the tank. second there are some answers needed. What size tank do you have? did you cycle your tank? do you know what cycling a tank is? do you have a water quality test kit? there may be a few more questions, but it will help us help you better.

Apr 17, 2009
will try to explain

the tank is 17 litres..i may seem like an absolute idiot but have no idea what cycling a tank is,,,is that the adaptation of the water?i dont think we have a water quality test kit i am afraid...
first of all, welcome to the tank. second there are some answers needed. What size tank do you have? did you cycle your tank? do you know what cycling a tank is? do you have a water quality test kit? there may be a few more questions, but it will help us help you better.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hey albena, welcome! There is a simple explanation of what cycling a tank means in the link in my signature and also in the stickies in the freshwater forums. You should take a look at them and read them completely, it is likely your problem and will not go away unless you know what's going on.

Apr 17, 2009
THANKS to MissFishy!

THANKS sooooo much! i am now starting reading your page...glimpsed it and it really made me feel calmer...as we cried so much at the fish loss...will write to you after i read the things you advised
Hey albena, welcome! There is a simple explanation of what cycling a tank means in the link in my signature and also in the stickies in the freshwater forums. You should take a look at them and read them completely, it is likely your problem and will not go away unless you know what's going on.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
4 gallon tank is tiny.

A 10 gallon (about 37 litres) is also small but would be much better than the one you're now using and would still be very easy to maintain. Get lots of filtration too. Read up on cycling a tank and change water regularly. If you can't use PRIME then just be sure to a quality de-chlorintor when you do change water. 25% per week minimum in a stabilized tank. (I try to do 25%-35% twice a week)

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
Neon tetras like soft water, that's why I don't keep them. Hard water over here. The number of fish you have is definitly too many for the size of tank you have. Especially since it wasn't cycled. The waste is going to build up very quickly. Do you have declorinator for water changes? Change the water. Like half of it. After that we can figure out what else to do.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey.
Your tetras might have Neon Tetra diasese. This is an incurable diasese. I had 12 neon tetras and all of them died but 2, i think it was the Neon tetra diasese.
Also, Sometimes putting too many fish in at once is harmful. Try putting in 2-3 fishies at a time, go to the fish store 3 or 4 days later, then buy some more. DO this until your tank is fully stocked!