My fish keep dying!

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
Over the last several weeks, I keep losing fish.

If you read another post, over a month ago, I lost about 3 in the span of a week. The source was traced to my stupid UGF. I ditched that and got a power filter. Everything was fine for 3 weeks, then 2/3 of my ghost shrimp died. I attributed this to the fact they couldn't molt (probably were saltwater shrimp, same thing happened with the last batch.)

Well then on Monday, I discovered a dead danio. Then today, a clown loach passed on. Another one looks sick, as does my cae.

I have a penguin 100, 10 gallon tank, 2 air filters runnign. I do water cahnges every 1-2 weeks, about 3-4 gallons each time. I'm using water conditioner/stress coat, and am using salt afterwards. There is what I consider excessive algae build up, but I'm used to it being spotless.

Chemical results all come back positive. pH is very high, at least 8.0, but it's constantly like that. My biggest concern is tank temperature. For a while it was fluctuating 80-95. But for the last week, it has been consistently around 80.

All the while, my small guppies have suffered no casualties, so perhaps they have no problem with the water condition that is affecting everything else.

The deaths have been several days after each water change, and have been happening during the day.

I currently have 2 clown loaches, a kuhli loach, a CAE, 1 ghost shrimp, and 3 extremely tiny guppies.

Thanks in advance.

sparkydave

Medium Fish
Dec 1, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I would agree with Lotus, if you took out the UGF you might be having a mini cycle. Maybe smaller water changes? About 20% (2 gallons) should be fine, and would have smaller swings in temperature. I do 20% each week, and the nitrates stay down.