my fishes died on the first day

Jun 7, 2009
hey
i am a beginner for the aquarium. I bought a new aquarium of about 25 lts. As i am new my local fish seller told me that he ll give a totally set aquarium for a fixed price, with 5 pairs of fish. I was happy to have so many fishes. But all my fishes died within 8hrs.This is what the local fish seller told me to do.fill the tank with tap water and add 8 drops of rid-alls anti itch and then pour all the 10 fishes in the tank. he didnt tell me anything about cycle. i am really sad as all my fish died on th first day only...plz help what was wrong???

damian09

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2009
could have been cold water shock if u didnt have the temp right or it could have been the clorine in your tapwater dont think it had any thing to do wit cycleing but that seems quite qwik for fish to die there is some thing called aqua safe its water treatment for the clorine in tap water and u should let a tank cyle for at least a week miss fishy have a post on cycle your tank hope you find out wat happened i would be gr8ful if u could keep me updated on this post thanks mate

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Well firstly, I'm sorry all your fish died. To determine what caused it within 8 hours it might be interesting to know what fish you bought if you know.

Sadly, it sounds like the guy at the store was just trying to make a fast sale. The website Damian mentioned above is MissFishy's Guide to Fish, and is well worth a visit. There you'll find out all about setting up and cycling a tank properly to ensure your fish live happy and healthily.

As for what killed your fish.. It may be that the fish were ill from the store, it seems VERY odd that he asked you to put in a medication for what you as the buyer would assume to be healthy fish. I don't think the fact that it was uncycled is the main issue.. unless you're tap water has high ammonia levels it doesn't seem likely to be poisoning. The chlorine in the tap water seems quite likely to be what killed your fish, you should use aquarium dechlorinator on raw tap water. I'm also presuming the tank had no filter or heater on top of this?

Also, in the long run, this is unlikely to have been successful. 25 litres is a very small tank, and it's unlikely it would have been able to sustain 10 fish for very long at all. I don't know honestly what to suggest you do other than get your money back from the clerk at the store, any good fish store will have guarantees on fish death, mine offers refunds if the fish die within a week (presuming it's not the fish owner's water quality that's the issue, at which point it's a day). It'll be worth asking whether you can return the tank aswell, because for a decent community aquarium 25 litres is not sufficient. Following this, read up on proper fish keeping and buy the biggest tank you can afford, and set it up correctly. Any questions, and everyone on here will be more than happy to answer.

Last edited:

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Theres much more to read about the tank and the equipment you need for having a good tank. Also you need to cycle your tank either with a fish or without. I suggest without.. But do whatever. Many people start fish keeping like you.. and add water and add fish.. And they mostly die. But I would take the fish back and hope to get a return of money. Because that guy was totally wrong with you about his sale! But maybe if he scam you for the sale.. he may scam you and not give money back... saying your fault and he would never tell you to do so. Also We dont know the water quality, the fish you added. Remember when you add water to a tank you need to mix it with some sort of product to take some of the bad stuff out of it. So instead of going back and buying more fish.. Id suggest reading the forums.. Reading the beggining of a fish keeper(what You need for the tank equipment), what to do for the cycling and fish cycling if you choose to do the fish one in.., also how to do water changes and why and how often and many... And feeding an filters and fish friendly.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Wow !
fish dead in 8 hrs ?
well as was stated above you shouldnt have needed to add ick treatment, just a de-chlorinater .i dont think the tank not being cycled would have caused this in such a short time. Unless the tank was already setup and had high levels of Ammonia, Nitrite levels.
well a combination of Temp, chlorine and ph in-balance could have shocked your fish.
sorry about your loss, and i would definatly tell your fish place you want your money back ! thats total bull crap !
and you will want to check out MissFishy's Guide to Fish
a must read.
good luck and keep us posted