My Fluval!!!

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Hi all, as most people here know I have a fluval 304 with my 60 gallon hex tank. I have recintly took the media out and I am just running foam in there.

My question is that, sence I am basicly running it for cuculation I need it to be pumping out the most water that it can. I have had the filter running non stop for over 1 year. I have never preformed any kind of mantinence on it.(regarding the propeler or something like that) besides cleaning the media). It seems to be puting out a lot less water than when I first got it. it used to pump a lot of water out and it is kinda slow. what do you guys think???

thanx a lot *PEACE!*

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will have to disasemble the canister filter...remove the top cover and take the impeller assembly out...give it a good rinse down to clean out any gunk...i would remove the foam pads as well because they will likely create a (bigger?) nitrate problem

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ok camaro, I'm going to trust you with this one. finnaly I'm going to listen and take the foam out. this ones on you, lol I will dude. I'll give it a wirl. I have one question though were does the gunk and fish waste go if it doesnt get cought in the foam?? thanx man *PEACE!*

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Had foams in my 2 aquaclear 500. Camaro told me to remove them. Nitrates went down. The foams doesn't have de de-nitrifying abilities that the LR/substrate bed has...so you'll end up with some. The junk is collected in your skimmer ( you have one right ? )

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey Camaro..i'm tired of my seaclone..always need to be "calibrated" with the annoying valve. It's been a week since something went wrong. Got only like 11 corals, mostly little frags + 2 fishies + snails + shrimp..but now the cup is filled in 3 weeks..compared to 3/4 a cup a week. Tried to clean it, check the pump..nothing seems wrong. No salt jammed into air tubing. Maybe juste the powerhead dying. Anyways..i'm planning to add a REAL skimmer into my tank and found the Berlin Classic very interesting. Can have it for 270 $ CDN with pump ( online ), usually it's 450 $ CDN here. Well...do you recommand this skimmer ? Never really saw one working...since no LFS use them. The LFS prefer to put some Jebo + Seaclone into their tanks...and sometimes no skimmer at all.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I have heard the same thing as camaro, decent will do the job but requires frequent matainance to keep it at optimum skimming capacity, my aqua-c remora to qoute a famous infomercial, I just set it and forget it