My Hopes Are Back Up!

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
My biology teacher came through and I am finally getting a 25 gallon tank. Now, Im going to have $60 to spend on Misc. items, so I need suggestions( like a full setup that fits into my budget)

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hey thats awsome you are getting a tank for free!!! Well, whisper filters are good little filters, easy to maintain, and quiet. You can pick up a whisper at walmart for under $30. For substrate are you wanting to use gravel or sand? You could do either. You need about 1 pound per gallon. Make sure you wash it until the water runs clear before putting it in the tank. Does the tank come with a top? a light set up? If not, alot of times ppl (me included) can go to the lfs and ask if they have any used tops and lights for alot cheaper than new. For a heater dont skimp though, its a very important aspect of your tank for healthy fish. Be sure to read up on cycling the tank on this forum whether you do fish-in or fishless. GOOD LUCK!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Congrats, Tomas! A 25 is a nice size to work with. What are you hoping to keep?

With a 25 gallon, 20 lbs of gravel should do you well. If you buy it in 5# bags, only open 2, then see how the tank looks. Add more as you see fit. Are you hoping to use live plants, or Plasticus americus for the time being? If you're just using plastic/silk, you only need enough gravel to anchor them to the floor (3/4" - 1")

I agree about not scrimping on a heater. You should do fine with a 100 - 150 watt heater. And the Whisper filters are very quiet and reasonably inexpensive. Don't forget to price them out online and see if anyone is offering free shipping or if you can pricematch at Petsmart etc. It never hurts to ask a store if they pricematch -- the worst they can say is "no." ;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Thats great tomas. I'd agree that you really ought to price your equipment (filter, heater at least) at www.bigalsonline.com and www.drsfostersmith.com because many times its much cheaper to buy things online than it is at the store...even after shipping.

You could get a top to fit the tank at most any pet store (or online store, but it might be more shipping) just know the length dimension of your tank to make sure it'll fit.

Whisper filters are good...but you might also check out the aquaclear ones that are rated for your size tank and do a price comparison, I really like the AC that my roommate got for one of her tanks so I think I will probably get one of those next time I have to replace a HOB.