my mom finally gave in

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
my tank has been sitting in our living room, empty, since mid march...i've been doing odd household tasks for money (instead of getting a job, as i should because i'm 16)...after many expensive purchases and months of waiting, my mom decided to advance me some money to buy some live rock from liveaquaria.com (probably the lalo stuff)
my only concern is this--i was originally going to get this live rock in november, when the temperature would be going into the enjoyable and bearable range
it was 109 today, and will probably be 103ish next week, when it arrives on friday afternoon
will the rock be cooked and useless after boiling in shipping for 2-3 days?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you might want to call LA and talk to them about it, a lot of places wont ship if it is going to be hot...another thing to consider is spend the extra $20 on overnight

edit: the rock is actually shipped dry, wrapped in newspaper...so i dont know how quickly that will heat up and desicate, but i wouldn't be surprised if it could be fast

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think the biggest problem would be if it sits outside in the sun all day if no one is home. I don't order anything live this time of year for that reason (unless I can take a day off to be home). We have pretty much the same temps here, and I know a box of plants that arrived was cooked after a day in the mailbox. See if you can get them to put in a couple of cooling packs.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it is shipped in an insulated styrofoam box, but im thinking if it is stuck in a non a/c warehouse somewhere where it is 115F outside, then goes to a truck for a few hours....it cant be good

but, i would call and chat with them about this...it may be something theyve dealt with in the past

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yeah...call and get details. Most live rock that i have seen come in comes in heavy cardboard boxes. The rock is damp and covered with newspaper. Just make sure you get the details on how they ship and what happens when its shipping.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ask if they'll cut you a deal on an entire box.

Basically the advantages of going through an lfs are simplified traffic, plus more control over what you get. The lvie awuaria stuff does look good though. They've done this thousands of times before , ask their advice