My new 55 gallon tank setup. Input encouraged

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Ok.. So, I have had a 20 gallon for some time, and decided to upgrade. It was black Friday and found some nice deals at Petsmart. I am afraid I may have more fish in my tank than I should, but the associate at Petsmart told me No, and in fact told me to come back in about a week to get more fish. Here is my story.

FILTER: My tank has the hang on back type filter that came with it, labeled "top fin" which is supposed to be for a 55 gallon tank. (I believe it may be a different brand with their logo on it) but it has two different sides each with their own filter. Which I believe is adequate. Just to be sure I also have my 20 gallon Aqeuon filter on the tank as well. (also put on to help tank cycle). One of my decorations also has a bubbler built into it.

SUBSTRATE: I have 2-3 inches of black/blue gravel mixed with a couple gallons of my white gravel from my original 20 gallon tank so it would cycle faster (am not sure if it made a difference or not)

DECORATION: a handful of rocks, 4 mid-large size decorations with small holes and hiding spaces, a mid size rock with a hole through the middle, and a couple cheap plastic fake lava type molds with holes in them, one stuck to the wall

PLANTS: I was trying to get a few plants that were appealing and would help with ammonia levels, but don't want an all planted tank that is covered in moss. (just not my thing). I have 3 lucky bamboo (Which are fully submerged, which I later researched and found that they shouldn't be (contrary to what I was told in store)). I intend to keep an eye on them and at the first sign of yellowing/dying I will remove and repot until they are tall enough for leaves to stick out the top of surface. I have 3 small green plants which I believe to be Amazon swords. I have a small piece of driftwood with an unknown green plant attached in the middle. And I have 2 moss balls. (One rep told me to anchor them and let them spread, another told me to let them float and sink on their own) Both said to squeeze them periodically to let them breathe

FISHIES: I transferred my 2 pleco, one about 5 inches, the other about 2.5 into it. I also tranferred my 2 angelfish that are each about 3 inches. I also transferred my one bala shark about 3 inches into it. I bought 3 more bala sharks, one rainbow shark, 6 glofish (danios I think), 6 fancy guppies (one died the first day, now 5), 3 sunburst platies, and 2 clown loaches.

I also used a bio chemical to shorten the cycle time, and once cycled used water conditioner, ammonia remover, and stress reducer before adding fish. It's been about a month and the water looks clear and fish look happy

FEED: I feed my fish about once a day with flake food, just what they will eat. I also put in a frozen brine shrimp about once a week

WATER CHANGE: My plans are to change my filter cartridges by every two weeks changing one filter, so they get changed once a month, but not both at once.

QUESTIONS: I guess what I want to know is

1) is my filter setup adequate? I've heard about biowheels, and is what I have ok or should I replace my 20 gallon filter with a biowheel keeping my 55 gallon that came on it as well? Are they worth it? what about canister filters? worth the investment? is there such a thing as too much water movement? I have my 20 gallon currently on a timer so that when lights go on the filter goes off for feeding and viewing purposes, but with 2 filters and a bubbler is too much air a bad thing?

2) Although the rep says it could hold many more fish, is this overstocked? Should I remove all but my original bala? thoughts?

3)Any one else ever buy the lucky bamboo from petsmart and what were the results?

4) Any other thoughts and input is helpful. I've had a 20 gallon tank for years and this is my first time with something this large.

Thanks a lot for any input and help!

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
You are WAY overstocked. Actually, I think beyond overstocked sums it up quite nicely. Bala sharks get to be quite large (about 16" or so) and need to be in groups of five or more. They are very active and usually aren't recommended for anything smaller than a 200+ gallon tank. Clown loaches get to be 13"+ and need to be in groups of five or more. They are not recommended for anything less than a 75 gallon tank, with bigger being better. Depending on what kind of plecos you have, they can reach 24" and are HUGE waste producers. They are not recommended for anything smaller than a 90 gallon tank (or a tank at least 24" wide, so they can turn around without contorting themselves) and require heavy filtration.

As your tank stands right now, you're WAY underfiltered. The general rule of thumb for hang-on-back (HOB) filters is to have the water in the tank turned over 10 times per hour (so in a 55gal, you want a gallons-per-hour rating of 550 GPH). I believe those Top Fin filters are rated at 300 GPH. Your Aqueon is rated at 100 GPH. That's a total of 400 GPH, well under what the recommended GPH is for a 55gal. That's also the rule for a lightly-stocked tank. The heavier stocked you are, the more filtration you need. I would upgrade to a canister filter, regardless of what you stock with. I have a Cascade 1000 (rated for a 100gal tank) on my 55gal and it is awesome.

As for your stocking...I would get rid of the balas (completely) and get rid of the clown loaches. I'd also get rid of the plecos if they're one of the larger species (common, trinidad, leopard, etc) and replace it with a single specimen from one of the smaller species (like bristlenose, clown, king tiger, etc).

Lucky bamboo is not an aquatic plant. If you try to grow it completely submerged (and it would be completely submerged at first in a 55gal 'cuz those stalks aren't very long), it will die and rot within a couple of months.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
From the filter you described, it sounds like the standard 40-60 one that lots of brands make, so it should be a good size for your 55. You took all the right steps to cycle your new tank faster as well, so that's good. As far as your stocking questions, your might want to check out aqadvisor.com. It's a really helpful site that lots of people on this forum use as a resource. Sorry I can't help you out with your other questions much. :/ Can I ask what kind of plecos you have though?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I know that bela sharks get VERY big so I don't think even one is compatable for a 55. I know clown loaches get pretty big too, but you might want to check out aqadvisor like ryanoh said. Sounds like it would be a nice tank! From what I've heard bamboo is no to be fully submerged, and if it dies it will break down and the chemicals with ruin your tank. If you can get the leaves out of the water I think you will be fine though. Good luck!

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I concur with everything Page said. I use HOB (Hang on the Back) filters. I use filters from Marineland and Aquaclear and love them! On my 55 I have 2 filter that turn the water over 10X per hour and I am not to heavy stocked. Take back or trade the Bala's, Pleco's and loaches. You can get a school of Corie's to help keep the bottom clean or get a smaller species of Pleco' like Paige suggested. My Clown does not touch algae and only hides/eats driftwood, so I would stay away from those.

Do you have a way to check your water parameters? Do you know what is "right"? (0 Ammonia-0 NitrIte and under 20 NitrAte) The actual PH is not as important as a stable PH.

Good Luck!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Gonna add on the plant thing...who planted tanks had to be covered with moss? You mean algae? If you keep your trifecta (light, fertilizers, CO2) balanced you won't have algae.

Take a gander at my 55gal...it's has 8 swords, one anubias, and two clumps of java fern (what the "mystery plant" attached to your driftwood probably is)...I'm going to be adding many more swords (at least four more, just from two of my other tanks...going to buy more as well).

(Note...this is an older FTS...the swords are bushier and the java fern has since been split into two smaller clumps, one on the main piece of driftwood where the parent plant was and one on the other piece of driftwood on the left-hand arch...haven't gotten a good FTS lately).

Mine is a fairly low-tech setup, but I'm going to be upgrading some stuff soon. Going to add CO2 (probably DIY) and start dosing with fertilizers. Right now I just run the T5 fixture, so my plants get TONS of light.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
RE

Thank you all for the help! I think the people at Petsmart try to be as helpful as possible but lets be honest- They are probably in or just out of high school and have little to no training other than with the 1-2 inch versions of the fish they see at the store.

Bassbonediva-, I was afraid you’d say that.. And as soon as I go the whole set up, that’s what I thought as well. I will be bringing back my sharks and common pleco. My clown loaches are only about an inch and a half long at the moment, and are very active and do eat anything on the bottom, so I think I will be keeping one until it gets a bit bigger.
From my calculations, you are exactly correct on my filter specs. Why do they label the TopFin as a 60 gallon if it is underpowered? I thought between that and my original filter I thought I’d be ok, as so far the water is crystal clear (did a 30% each week so far) and my parameters are great. PH is a little higher than what’s recommended but is stable and from my understanding is nothing to worry about. I did realize that my Aqueon is actually a 30 gallon version, with 200 gph. So.. with my 300GPH Top fin that came with it, I’m at 500GPH (although I have my Aqueon turning off during the day, is that bad?) By getting rid of my sharks and plecos, is this 500 gph really too small? I’d prefer not to spend a fortune on a biowheel or another filter if I don’t have to.. And if I absolutely do, what do you recommend?
You did mention that a bristlenose, clown, or king tiger would be smaller versions of pleco. Any benefit of one over the others?
I am aware that Lucky bamboo isn’t aquatic. The Petsmart employee told me different. I’m just waiting for it to start turning yellow or dying than I will pull it out and repot until it is tall enough to put back in.. From other research, I’ve found they can grow for months underwater, so it’s possible it might reach the surface before it starts to yellow.. Time will tell.
As far as the driftwood fella, I also agree that it looks to be a java fern. Great looking tank by the way! (will try to get a pic posted of mine if I can figure out a way to do so from my phone… have no digital camera.. hmm) As far as the CO2 and fertilizer- I was hoping not to have to deal with it too much. I do have pretty bright Florescent lights. With my plants (3 swords, 2 moss balls, 3 lucky bamboo that will soon be removed) do you think they will do ok on their own? As far as I’m concerned, it’s ok if they aren’t farmer’s market quality as long as they are healthy enough to consume ammonia instead of give it off. And I do know that a properly cared for planted tank can look as good as yours, but let’s be honest, I see more that are covered in green than are aren’t, so I’d just like to keep a few plants that will help with hiding places and maybe ammonia levels and not have to have a whole different set of conditions to watch for and keep up with.

Dylanrewsdad- So you have two filters at 550 GPH, 1100GPH total!? Hadn’t considered Cories, but is there a benefit of a few cories over 1 pleco or vice versa? I have checked all parameters, and the first week I had a mini cycle, but was able to save the fish! Since then, everything has been right on except for a slightly high PH which as you say isn’t really an issue.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Thank you all for the help! I think the people at Petsmart try to be as helpful as possible but lets be honest- They are probably in or just out of high school and have little to no training other than with the 1-2 inch versions of the fish they see at the store.

Ryanoh- I’ve also heard that I’m underfiltered.. But I think that with that and my other filter (actually a 30 gallon Aquoen not a 20) I should be ok, so far I havn’t had an issue… Will wait and see.. I am confident that I cycled it the best way possibly, using a preexisting colony on my original filter I’m sure helped bunches, It only took a few days compared to the many weeks it could have taken.. I have checked out aqadvisor.com, and according to them I am WAY overstocked.. But I will be taking back my sharks and common pleco and returning them for a smaller version pleco or cories..
Paperdog9- I have this posted in another forum as well.. I will be taking back the balas, and one clown loach. I am going to keep one until he gets a little bigger (only 1.5 inches now).. He does a great job picking up any uneaten food.. As I said, I am going to wait until bamboo starts to show any signs of dying then take it out until it gets taller.. Yes, I think my tank looks awesome! I am trying to keep it colorful, and have fish that all get along and aren’t harassing each other.
Thanks for the help guys, any other input is great!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
My comments and answers are in red. *celebrate

Bassbonediva-, I was afraid you’d say that.. And as soon as I go the whole set up, that’s what I thought as well. I will be bringing back my sharks and common pleco. My clown loaches are only about an inch and a half long at the moment, and are very active and do eat anything on the bottom, so I think I will be keeping one until it gets a bit bigger.
The problem with this is that you will get attached and then you won't want to return them. See it happen all the time. You always always always stock a tank based on the adult size of the fish, never what size they are currently. Why not trade in the clown loaches for some cories? You could have quite a few (I have seven, soon to be eight in my 55gal) and they do just as good a job, if not better, than the clown loaches.
From my calculations, you are exactly correct on my filter specs. Why do they label the TopFin as a 60 gallon if it is underpowered? I thought between that and my original filter I thought I’d be ok, as so far the water is crystal clear (did a 30% each week so far) and my parameters are great. PH is a little higher than what’s recommended but is stable and from my understanding is nothing to worry about. I did realize that my Aqueon is actually a 30 gallon version, with 200 gph. So.. with my 300GPH Top fin that came with it, I’m at 500GPH (although I have my Aqueon turning off during the day, is that bad?) By getting rid of my sharks and plecos, is this 500 gph really too small? I’d prefer not to spend a fortune on a biowheel or another filter if I don’t have to.. And if I absolutely do, what do you recommend?
As I said above, you always base your stocking and filtration off the adult size of the fish, never the size they are right now. Your filtration may be fine for now (once you ditch the balas and plecos), but you're going to need a lot more once those angels grow up and you add more suitable fish. I generally recommend canister filters for tanks bigger than 30 gallons because they are more efficient and have more media capacity than HOB filters. Manufacturers are always generous with their tank size ratings for their HOB filters. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure it's some sort of marketing ploy.
You did mention that a bristlenose, clown, or king tiger would be smaller versions of pleco. Any benefit of one over the others?
Honestly, a pleco isn't needed (or really recommended) unless you have large amounts of algae. I think one of my "favorite" (insert sarcasm) things I see on these forums is people who say "Well, I need a pleco in case I get algae." If your tank is stable and you don't run your lights too long, you won't get algae, so an algae eater isn't necessary. Without algae, your pleco has to eat something, which means you're supplementing with veggies and algae wafers which can foul your tank quickly. That being said, if you insist on a pleco, I'd have to say probably the bristlenose or king tiger (there are other small varieties, but I can't remember any off the top of my head). The clown pleco is beautiful (I have one), but they don't eat that much algae. Driftwood is their dietary staple.
As far as the driftwood fella, I also agree that it looks to be a java fern. Great looking tank by the way! (will try to get a pic posted of mine if I can figure out a way to do so from my phone… have no digital camera.. hmm) As far as the CO2 and fertilizer- I was hoping not to have to deal with it too much. I do have pretty bright Florescent lights. With my plants (3 swords, 2 moss balls, 3 lucky bamboo that will soon be removed) do you think they will do ok on their own? As far as I’m concerned, it’s ok if they aren’t farmer’s market quality as long as they are healthy enough to consume ammonia instead of give it off. And I do know that a properly cared for planted tank can look as good as yours, but let’s be honest, I see more that are covered in green than are aren’t, so I’d just like to keep a few plants that will help with hiding places and maybe ammonia levels and not have to have a whole different set of conditions to watch for and keep up with.
With as lightly planted as your tank is, you're fine without CO2 or fertilizers (although your swords would appreciate ferts). Also, how many watts is your lighting? I currently have 96 watts of T5 light (more concentrated than your standard T8, so really it's like I have double the wattage I have) over my 55gal.
Is there a benefit of a few cories over 1 pleco or vice versa?
Cories and plecos serve two totally different purposes in the aquarium. Cories are scavengers and eat leftover food from the substrate. They will also willingly eat veggies, algae wafers, pellets, and pretty much whatever else you give them. Plecos are algae eaters (generally speaking) and require a constant, steady source of algae to remain healthy. Sometimes they will snack on veggies, but some won't touch them (my bristlenose in my 55gal and my clown in my 20gL won't touch veggies).

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
RE

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.. I wish petsmart employees were this knoledgable… Or at least tell you they don’t know instead of giving us a line of sh*t. Anyway I couldn’t figure out how to change the color, so I just wrote my responses to each thing you mentioned.

I guess the reason I’d prefer to keep one clown loach over a handful of cories is that I’m trying to go for a more colorful tank.. That said, by eliminating the plecos and the loaches, I’d be able to get a couple more guppies or platys that would be just as colorful. I think your right, when I go back I’ll just bring in my plecos, sharks, and loaches and bring home 5 or 6 cories and maybe a few more guppies or glofish danios.(I really like the color they give off)

My angels were taken from my 20 gallon and currently have about 4 inch bodies, with only two of them and getting rid of all my big boys, you still think I need more filter? It will basically be 6 guppies, 6 glofish danios, 3 platys, 2 angelfish and 5-6 cories.. It seems like the 2 angelfish are the only ones that will be very big at all. Also, why a preference for a canister over a biowheel. I’ve heard great things about the biowheel but I really don’t know what to get.. Is there a certain brand or model you would recommend and why?

As stated above, I think I’m just going to return my sharks, plecos, and clown loaches and get a handful of cories. I’ll keep an eye on my algae levels, but I’ve never had a problem as the tank is in a basement. Sounds like the way to go then?

It came with Florescent lights, which is really all I looked for.. At closer inspection they are 2 florescent F15T8 18” Daytime 40 Amp lights in hoods. From my understanding that means they are only 15 watts.. 30watts total!? If that’s the case, should I upgrade.. and to what? I’d prefer to keep the same hoods that I have, and just buy bigger watt bulbs to fit them. I can’t believe they are only 15 amps, they throw off A LOT of BRIGHT light.

So truthfully If I just had 5-6 cories and no plecos or clown loaches, I’d actually be better off!? I wish they guys at Petsmart were required to read these forums! Last time I trust their knowledge. Thanks for the help!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Cories may not be colorful, but what they lack in color, they make up for in personality. Mine are never still...ever.

As for the filtration...you do realize that the BioWheel filters are basically glorified AquaTech filters, right? They are made by the same company, just the BioWheels have the extra "bonus" of having the wheel for an additional place for bacteria to colonize. In my Cascade 1000 canister filter, I have so much media packed in there that I probably have two to three times the amount of media surface area that the HOB filters do (BioWheels included). I don't know about you, but I prefer being overfiltered to having "just enough" filtration. With my tank set up the way it is, I only have to do water changes every two weeks or so to keep my parameters steady.

As for your lighting...it's sufficient for what you have. There really isn't a way to upgrade your lighting while keeping the hoods you have. Your fixtures are built to accommodate a specific size/wattage bulb, which is generally what they're equipped with from the factory. My 55gal is open-topped (going to be getting a pair of glass canopies soon to cut down on evaporation because I have a wonky spray bar that likes to empty half my tank if I let the water level get too low), so I just set the fixture I have right on top of it and I'm good. I haven't had a fish jump yet and I really like the clean, minimalist look. But, to each their own.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Nice tank! I love corys, but make sure your gravel is smooth if you plan on getting them and decorations have no sharp edges. Corys have delicate barbels that can get ground down it they rub across rough gravel. They actually prefer sand, but I don't know if you would want to change ALL your substrate out.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
Everything makes sense so far.. One last thing. And I hope this doesn't sound stupid. What do you mean by media? On my filters I replace the filter catridge once a month (alternating each side every 2 weeks so I never loose all bacteria at once). Am I missing something?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
The filter cartridge is your media. I use blue bonded filter pad (you can get it at Petsmart for like $5 for a big bag of it), zeolite rings and clean, unused pillow batting (makes for a cheap, plentiful alternative to the more expensive filter floss). In my AquaClear HOB filters (have an AquaClear 20 on one of my 10gal and an AquaClear 50 on my 29gal), I run sponge, bio rings and blue filter pad. In my other HOB filters, I don't even bother with the cartridges (they can get costly and they contain carbon, which isn't necessary unless you're removing meds from the water). I just use the blue filter pad.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
I do prefer gravel over sand, I just think it looks cleaner.. My preference. And yeah, there is NO WAY I want to remove all my gravel at this point. lol. I didn't know that about cories.. I'd say the gravel I have is relatively rounded.. It
s the stuff they sell in different size bags at petsmart and petco. None of my decorations or rocks really have sharp edges. Think this would be ok? I'd much rather have a worry free tank than have pretty fish that cause me problems so if cories are the way to go, they are fine by me. Plus it seems that they come in some color variations? Thanks a lot!

Feb 27, 2009
Unless the media is fallling apart, there is no reason to change it. Just swish it around in the water you are taking out of your tank for a water change to get any buildup removed if it slows your flow down.

As to your light question, the ballast in a fixture is what determines what wattage of light it will safely light up. If you want higher light, you'd need to either change the fixture or retrofit the existing fixture (take the 'guts' out and put in a ballast that can work with a bulb with more watts).

Keep in mind, the balancing act of a planted tank though. If you increase the light, you need to increase the fertilizer and available carbon. In a low-tech (low light, no 'added' ferts or CO2), the fish living in the water can provide the fertilizer and CO2. In a higher-light tank, you'd need to add fertilzer and a carbon source (CO2 injection or a product like Flourish Excel).

Last edited:

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
ok, so the media is just the filter cartridge, and if I want to spend less money I can basically stuff it myself? AND I don't need to replace them, I can just rinse them out? Awesome! Thanks for the help guys!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Wow, somehow totally missed that you're replacing them once a month. lol

Yeah, like OC said, just swish them around in the water you take out of the tank during your water changes. I still have the same media in one of my Penguin 170s that it came with when I bought it in October of 2009. It's just now starting to fall apart.