MY new betta

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
so since my husband is the hog of these forums i thought i would post a picture of MY fish. Say hello to MY betta...he's so totally posing for me

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Even if you go with fakes, tall leafy plants are good for bettas, especaially if their leaves get to the surface, they like to hover in them and use them to blow bubble nests when they're happy. Mine likes to kick the cories out of their cave too and hang out in there too.

How big is the tank he's in there?

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Even if you go with fakes, tall leafy plants are good for bettas, especaially if their leaves get to the surface, they like to hover in them and use them to blow bubble nests when they're happy. Mine likes to kick the cories out of their cave too and hang out in there too.

How big is the tank he's in there?
he is in a 5 gallon hexagon tank...i didnt know if i could put a real plant in there with him already acclimated

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
You could still do it I don't think he'd mind but if not get a plastic or aquarium safe silk one, he'd love it.

In a 5 gallon you could get him a buddy too if you wanted.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
A pair of cories (if you could find pygmy cories you could go with even 3 or 4)? A couple african dwarf frogs? Some fresh water shrimp? A couple small tetras (like neons)?

There's lots of choices! You want him to be the biggest fish in the tank and you want to avoid fish that nip at tails or that have long flowy tails cause he'll perseive them as a threat (so no guppies). And usually you want something small that will back down if the male betta flares up at all.

I find Betta's go really nicely with a bottom dwelling type since they tend to hang out on differant levels of the tank you tend to have fewer territory issues.

Frogs and Cories in my experience seem to go really well with bettas because they have similar diets so they'll pick up what ever the betta doesn't eat and have similar preferances in water and environment. :) Just make sure you give some hiding places for what ever you pick.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I move my plants and stuff around in the tank all the time I wouldn't worry about it too much. It actually seems to keep the fish active and intrested and bettas (at least mine) don't seem to mind if you've got your hand in their tank. Mine even comes and rubs up against my fingers some times!

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
You should be able to put plants in there without any problem.

Just go to the link below and look for some low light low maintenance plants that you like and see if you can find them at your LFS.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide
you i love our LFS but they are crappy with the plants...they have very few and the ones they do have dont look healthy to me but maybe im just wrong

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thats how they are at the stores I like to go to as well. The one I actually end up getting my plants at is the LFS that I hate the most but they really seem to have the healthiest and best selection of plants. So you might want to look at a couple other stores in your area and see if maybe one of them has any plants that look better then your regular store.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Im not sure if shrimp would fair in a tank with a Male Betta. Its one of those 50/50 shot things. I think that if he has been in the tank alone for a while your best bet would be to get some new decor and the fish that you want to add at the same time. This way it creates a new territory for him and he will be less likely to attack the fish that get introduced. Not all Betta's allow tank mates so be ready to remove them if need be. Also since he has been alone your best bet might be to go with Cories (2) or African Dwarf Frogs (2 or 3). The reason for that choice is because they are not going to be in his way and he wont see them as a threat :p