My new guys, acclimating

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Here's our new fish :D

They're being quarantined in my "frag" tank after acclimation. If they get sick, we'll set up another tank to medicate them in. Hopefully they'll do fine, they acclimated really well. One of them even ate a little about 10 mins after being added to the tank.

We watched them "meet" for the first time at the store. They got on well, so we took them as a pair. One is slightly larger than the other.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We haven't bought any fish in quite a long time. A few weeks ago one of our gobies jumped out :( We were looking for a replacement for him, but they didn't have any gobies we wanted, so we finally got the clowns we've been planning on.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
As far as I know, the larger one usually changes to female, and all are born male. I believe once they change to female, they can't change back to male.

If you get them when they're fairly small and you get one larger than another, you should be fine.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Lotus is correct. They are all born male and the largest dominant fish becomes female. If kept single I believe the fish will become female also....so always when adding another clown to an existing one make sure you always add one that is smaller than the one you have and preferably a juvenille.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yup and the reason the larger one changes to female is cause the bigger is usually more dominate ;) but yea if a single clown is alone long enough it will turn to female and yes once turned to female theres no turning back but anyways how r they doing? getting along fine

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Mine seem to be doing fine. They tend to hang out at different ends of the Q tank (15g) most of the time, but they will swim together at feeding time. They're both small, so I don't think they've really paired up yet. They both ate on the first day, which is great. The smaller one has a tiny mouth, and can't seem to eat a whole mysis, so they're getting small pellet food. The larger one has a little fraying on her pectoral fins, which was there since I got her. I'm keeping an eye on it.