My new quarantine policy--your input needed

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
After losing two yellow watchman gobies to disease, I have decided to erradicate anything before it reaches my tank. I plan to medicate new acquisitions with various medications (copper, malachite green, and/or formalin, hopefully not all at the same time). I know this approach may be stressful to new fish, but this is the only way I can attempt to prevent more fish loss. As for inverts carrying in disease, I have no idea if a quarantine process will work (especially on diseases/parasites that can thrive without a host organism).
gtg....Any input? Thanks

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I QT everything now. I don't medicate though, but I do hyposalinity, and I start as soon as I think there might be a problem. I leave meds for when I need them

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Actually I think hypo is pretty easy. Not very much shows sensitivity to it, and fish can take downward changes in salinity pretty well. You can drop from 1.025 to 1.010 in 2 days and you can probably go faster than that. Upward changes take much longer - to go back up will probably be most of the last week of QT.
Plus most filter bacteria are very resilient to changes in salinity (to the point that you may or may not really need a salt specific biospira)

Compared to copper this is pretty easy

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I guess my last question is this: what to do about inverts? I believe my shrimp carried in a disease that took my otherwise healthy YWG...Would quarantining for a couple of weeks be effective to combat possible disease, or is it a lost cause?