My new tank - Live Rock questions

ninjamini

Small Fish
Dec 28, 2004
Visit site
OK so I did it. I went and started my first salt water tank with a 6 galon eclipse. I set it up this past sat and added a damsel on sunday.

So here is my question. How much live rock should I put in? I put in ten pounds of live sand and a 2 pound live rock. I was thinking of adding more live rock to fill things up a bit but I was thought for all the live rock I add there is is less water.

I plan to remove the damses (back to the fish stroe for him) after the water cycles and add 2-3 small clowns.

I may add 2-3 small soft corals later but that is months away.

Thanx for any input:)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, if you are using live rock you don't need the damsel at all, especially in such a tiny tank...the live rock will start the cyclefrom any die off...and if there is no die off the tank is already ready...the only way to really know is to use your test kits

as far as how much live rock, you just have to figure out what looks good to you...if you plan to keep clowns (probably a pair, three could be problematic) they do not need a lot of swimming territory so you could add more rock

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yes...ditto to Camaro. Only a pair of small clowns for a tank this size. And you could keep the damsel in there until you want the clowns...all you have to do is take the rock out to catch it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Three wil be a disaster. Take the damsel out, buy some live rock and cycle it off that.
I suspect you are being very badly advised by your lfs....