my new tiger barbs are not eating

Jan 11, 2011
Hi i`m a new to the fish world.. i have a 24gallon tank that has live plants with a co2 system, which i`ve just finished cycling. i`ve had my 6 tiger barbs for 3 days and they have not eaten anything yet, they they hide in the caves or behind the plants at the bottom of the tank.. is this usual or is there something wrong in the tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 1

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ummm you could try a different food, although it's likely that they are stressed and don't understand that the food is food.

They are likely also picking left over food off the plants and gravel when you aren't looking

call the petstore and find out if they were feeding something different then you are, maybe try that.

Feb 27, 2009
What test kit do you use? I've not seen a kit that has a reading of 1 for nitrate. Are you sure the 1 reading wasn't nitrite? Nitrites with a reading of 1 would definately cause stress.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I wouldn't be too worried if you don't see the fish eating for the first few days, but you might want to try a different food anyway - something like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, that you would use as a special treat . . . .

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
call the petstore and find out if they were feeding something different then you are, maybe try that.
nod nod nod yup yup yup

Most stores I've asked claim to feed Spectrum flakes to just about everything. I've seen one that tried feeding them Hikari...and promptly stopped feeding anything else.

If you're willing to try something besides flakes or don't want to mess with calling the store I haven't found anything yet (except my clown pleco) that can resist frozen bloodworms.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Frozen blood worms are a particular favorite amongst fish. No fish can resist the call of the blood worm!
I would suggest having those on hand and rotating what type of food you feed your fish. I do a rotation of flakes and blood worms expect for my DP who gets blood worms and snails.

Jan 11, 2011
I've tried the blood worms that worked, thanks. I have just noticed that one of my tiger barbs has 2 whitish spots.. There's one on the body which has taken some of the black strip away the other is on it's gill. The one on the body is quite big, but it dose'nt look fluffy. This fish dosen't move much just stays either in the cave or down stream from the filter could this be White spot as I'm not sure..

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
given that they are new and are not interested in eating, I would guess ICH. Turn out the lights, turn up the heat (84-86), add aquarium salt to your tank as directed on the box.

If you just have the barbs you can try ich meds. Follow the directions, remember to take the carbon pad out of the filter before you medicate.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
general antibiotic. Take a photo with your camera on your phone and show the guy at the LFS and see what they say you should use.

I have actually never had a bacterial infection so I don't have a recommendation.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
While it's not the cheapest meds out there, a Melafix/Pimafix combination (Tea Tree Oil and West Indian Bay Oil respectively) have been helpful to me. They do stink like the dickens though.
Edit: It is supposed to suck the oxygen out of the water, so be sure you have a bubbler. I've used this combo with a clown pleco and three large snails in the tank without problems. Like everything in fishkeeping, individual results may vary.

I haven't tried malachite green or any of the others people may suggest.

Last edited: