My Not at all Peacful Blood Parrot

Aug 3, 2006
I got this fish from someone, who didnt know anything about it. So I read up on it on the internet. It says these fish are peaceful, so I went with that advice and put it in with my community fish. He did alright for about a day, then started trying to attack my pleco, and my raphel catfish. Is there any fish at all you can put with this fish? I guess the information I read was wrong? :confused:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well peaceful perhaps...for a CICHLID. Granted some dont consider this fish a true cichlid since it is a hybrid...but its close enough. Cichlids are not of the same temprament as your other community fish. Most people who have BP's usually keep them with other cichlids or other BP's.

*ahem* I feel the need to point out that there are a lot of people on this board who feel very strongly about this particular fish...please make sure your responses to this thread stay professional and on topic. Please? Dont make me beg...

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Just to add to Froggy's remarks (yes, I'll behave ;)), it is very difficult to determine 'true' behavior characteristics when dealing with hybrids especially. Yes, every animal is an individual but hybrids can behave like one parent species or the other or entirely different from both. For those who keep these fish, they are typically kept in semi-aggressive to aggressive tanks, not in your typical community tank. Your fiddlers may be next on his hit list, so do watch him. My recommendation would be to return him.

Seeing your sig, I would strongly discourage you from keeping discus in that current mix, also.

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Yes, every animal is an individual but hybrids can behave like one parent species or the other or entirely different from both.
Also, blood parrots can be the product of different combinations of fish (well more than one combination), so saying that they are all "peaceful" is a little broad IMO. That being said, its probably hard to know how the individual fish will act.

Aug 3, 2006
hmmm.

Seleya said:
Just to add to Froggy's remarks (yes, I'll behave ;)), it is very difficult to determine 'true' behavior characteristics when dealing with hybrids especially. Yes, every animal is an individual but hybrids can behave like one parent species or the other or entirely different from both. For those who keep these fish, they are typically kept in semi-aggressive to aggressive tanks, not in your typical community tank. Your fiddlers may be next on his hit list, so do watch him. My recommendation would be to return him.

Seeing your sig, I would strongly discourage you from keeping discus in that current mix, also.
On the last comment, Discus aren't community fish? I was hoping so, because they sure are pretty.

I would suggest reading intensively on discus before anything. Im not an expert, but im pretty sure their basic needs are superior water quality, i think they prefer to be in numbers, and they are very skittish. With your eel and your gouramis, im think your discus would have a nervous breakdown. Discus IMO is off limits to advanced aqaurists. They are very demanding. again try looking them up on google. also look at the Sticky on the discus section of this forum.
P.S. For anybody else reading this, I do not claim to be an expert on discus, so please feel free to correct me

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
jumpfreak26 said:
I would suggest reading intensively on discus before anything. Im not an expert, but im pretty sure their basic needs are superior water quality, i think they prefer to be in numbers, and they are very skittish. With your eel and your gouramis, im think your discus would have a nervous breakdown. Discus IMO is off limits to advanced aqaurists. They are very demanding. again try looking them up on google. also look at the Sticky on the discus section of this forum.
P.S. For anybody else reading this, I do not claim to be an expert on discus, so please feel free to correct me
Sounded good to me man. *thumbsups

Discus do like to be in schools. Personally i wouldn't put them with Gouramis or Bettas...tetras i wouldn't be worried about. And a discus with blood parrots is a no.