My Ph= 8.0

May 7, 2005
san diego, california
Hi, i think i have a problem, my Ph is 8.0 and my fish are slowly dying for no apparent reason. so we checked all the things that could be wrong like ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and WOW ph was overwelming. We think thats why my fish are slowly dying even though i have had them for a while.

what should i do? i have a 15 gallon tank, swordtails, corys and guppies. i don't think this is a good ph but it might be.

also, can fish get old and die of old age. i have a really big guppy female who i never thought to be 'old' but then again i have no idea. just wondering, she's not looking to hot either.

please help, i really don't have a clue whats going on with my poor fishies!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Is the pH the same in all your tanks? Have you tested the pH of the tapwater when it has sat out for 24 hours?

A pH of 8.0 isn't necessarily bad, but if you have pH changing in your tank(s) it could be a problem. I would say your 15g is overstocked, which could be the cause.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
Well, for those fish, which naturally exist in acid-neutral environment, 6.7-7.2, with some variation allowed, I think can be part of the problem. As mentioned, it seems a bit of overstocking is there (15 gal), but I know how that can be, just be sure you have more than adequate filtration. Fish do also die and get old. You can't expect them to live 10 years, but if well taken care of they can last a few. Larger fish tend to live a bit longer.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Can you give us your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? You said you tested them...

Livebearers actually usually like a higher pH...they're not tetras. Not sure about corys. BUT the important thing with pH is not that its HIGH or LOW...its that its stable (like Lotus said)

How long has your tank been set up?

May 7, 2005
san diego, california
ok
nitrate= 20
nitrite= 0
ammonia= .50

i have had the tank set up for about a month. all the other tanks in the house are fine, but there not mine lol. i don't know if this will help but i do have a algae problem growing because i have my tank near a big window. i don't mind taking care of it but i don't know how and i'm going on vacation on friday. i don't know if that helps with the ph problem.

thanks guys, more help would be great! :D

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It ain't the pH. That's in range for the swords and guppies, nd barely high for the cories.

I would guess an ammonia spike, I don't like any ammonia to be around. Also , have you used any chemicals to clean the glass. What about water changes. And what dechlor do you use - some are ineffective against chloramine which may or may not be added to your tapwater

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Speaking of chloramine, at a PH of 8 Chlorine will combine with ammonia to create choloramine. You really should have an ammonia reading of 0 though like wayne said. What do you have in the tank for decoration?

What color is the algae that you are struggling with?