My PH, KH, GH are all super high!

Oct 29, 2005
Hey all

So my 75G tank is all setup (no fish yet) and I tested the water with a test strip (yea, I know they are not the best but its what I had lying around).

Anyways, my test strip read all my results as the highest as possible:

GH: 300, KH: 300, PH: 8.4

Now, my thought is that while my water might actually be that high, it could in fact be higher than that (i.e. ph @ 8.6 or something...)

So what should I do? Please, Please help and I really want to get some fish...

Thnx

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Have you tested your water in a glass cup also just in case your substrate or other tank decor is affecting the water? I totally agree with JW, you at least need to test the water with another kit either at home or through a lfs (many of which don't necessarily test for KH & GH)

What types of fish are you hoping to keep?

Oct 29, 2005
Well other than typical gravel I have a bunch of plastic plants and some real driftwood (which I thought should actually lower some of my param...)

I was hoping for a community of maybe some cardinals, definately some gouramis, hatchetfish, corys and a few other peacful inhabitants...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
driftwood is usually a good way to naturally bring some of those parameters down, you're right.

I'm going to be the first one to say that your water parameters sound pretty good for some african cichlids :D but most fish these days will adapt to almost any water conditions as long as they're stable.