My Placos Keep Dying

sarahg

New Fish
Dec 17, 2005
New Hampshire
Anybody out there have trouble keeping placos alive. I cant' seem to keep them for very long I have 1 large columbian shark, 3 smaller ones and some tiger barbs in a 55 gallon tank with two filters

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I am assuming these are common plecs? As stated what are you feeding them. It's a common misbelief that if you feed them they won't eat algae or there is no need to feed them they can live off of algae. I have actually heard the first bit of misinformation being told to a customer at a LFS.

On the other hand, I've found that if you get them when they are really little (2 and under inches) they are sensitive to any tank conditions that are less than ideal. When I was first starting I went through a handful of plecs because of this.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
my ple*o is in fine fettle...
water temp is 24/75...ph is 7.2...
hardness...dunno... :)

i feed sinking algae wafers ... 1/2 per night...
and 3 times a week a sinking bottom feeder pellet...
he also gets half a one inch slice of cucumber...de-seeded...per week...
tried him on shelled peas...not bothered...

water changes...10% every other day...

hope this helps... :)

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
^^^ I also don't feed my common pleco anything special. I notice he comes out after feeding and picks up flakes off the substrate. He does not do much algae cleaning though, lazy fish.

My bristlenoses (tiny 1"-1.25")in my other aquarium are constantly scavanging, night and day, eating algae, leftoverflakes, whatever they can find. I feed them an algae wafer treat about 2x a week.

So, I've had good experiences keeping them alive either way. The only time I've ever lost a pleco was when one jumped out of my first 10g tank. How do the other fish act towards it? Can they be being picked on to death?

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
GIS Guy said:
I have had mine for a year and haven't feed it at all. Actually it doesn't move during the day, so I assume it scavenges whatever it can during the night.
sounds like ple*o abuse to me...:)

then again...my tank is brand new...no algae...

go on dude...buy him some sinking pellets...
drop one in first thing in the morning...
he'll pop out for it and you'll get to see him... :)