My recently set up 29 gallon

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
I got a 29 gallon marineland biofilter kit for my birthday. (pics provided) Anyway heres the point. I have an idea of what I'm going to do but i need help with what I need to do for a fishless cycle. the water is treated but there are tons of little bubbles everywhere.(not important I hope) How do i fishless cycle?
Also I have a cycled 5 gallon with 2 guppies(males I think) and a red wag platy. <-- first tank. so i have seen some ideas about raw shrimp i think and then something about filter media.(not sure what exactly that is)
Thanks in advance :)

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I would recommend this article about doing a fishless cycle. I have used this method several times.
I found a huge bottle of pure ammonia at one of the local grocery stores for cheap.

Don't worry about the bubbles they will go away shortly. What type of filter do you have on your 5 gallon?
I have Aqueon Quietflow filters on my tanks and the filter media is basically a sponge cartridge with carbon.
When I'm cycling a new tank I put an extra piece of filter media (just the cheap stuff) in my filter with my old filter media for a couple weeks.
This way I can remove the extra piece of filter media and transfer it to the new tank without damaging my established tank (ie. re-cycling by removing all the filter media).

This is an example of the cheap stuff...found at any petstore.
MatalaBlue-L.jpg

Is that helpful? Maybe someone else can explain it a little better. :)

Last edited:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Place an extra piece of filter media behind/around/infront of the filter media on your established tank.
Leave the extra piece of filter media in the tank for several weeks (2 - 4 weeks).

That is what I'm doing right now in my filter.
filter.jpg

After remove the extra piece of filter media and place it in your new filter along with the filter media the filter came with. At some point you will be able to remove the extra piece of filter media. This should jump start the cycle on your new tank. You will need to "feed" the bacteria on the filter media if you do not add fish right away. You said your interested in doing the fishless cycle, so you will be using a source of ammonia to "feed" the bacteria.

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
My filter is a little bit smaller than yours. haha, but can I just use a bottle of top fin bacteria supplement and ammonia?
It would technically be faster than waiting for bacteria to grow on the filter media.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
That bacteria suppliment stuff is worthless, I've tried it. I have been in similar situations with my tanks and this is what I have found to be the easiest way to establish a tank. Transfer the fish, filter media, and decor to your 29 gal. Fill it up and declorinate the water. Put the established filter media in the filter WITH the new media. This will promote fast bacteria growth on the new media. Your fish will supply the necessary ammonia and your decor will have beneficial bacteria growing on it. I have done this many times with out fail. Just keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrate levels but they should stay pretty safe in a 29 gall with only three fish. Wait a few weeks until visible bacteria growth can be seen on the new media, transfer everything back and boom! you've got two established tanks.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
That bacteria supplement stuff is worthless, I've tried it.
I agree that bacteria supplement are worthless. Often, the bacteria that may have been in the product are dead upon arrival to the store.

Wait a few weeks until visible bacteria growth can be seen on the new media, transfer everything back and boom! you've got two established tanks
What are you transferring back? Are you removing all the filter media completely from the established tank? I agree with your method because it is similar to mine, expect I use pure ammonia until I'm sure that the tank is cycled. I'm just confused about the transferring back aspect....I might be over thinking it. :)

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Sorry achase, what I meant is transfer your old media back after your new media is visibly established in the new tank. Our methods are very similar. I've never used pure ammonia before since without it has so far worked. But Omn, either way you go, I would wait more than 10 days before you add more fish. I think achase would agree. You want your new filter media to look pretty foul for lack of a better word. Its gotta be a serious bacteria colony.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Are you removing the filter media from your old tank completely so that your established tank has no filter media? That is where I'm concerned because you could cause a mini cycle in your established tank. About 90% of the good bacteria in your tank is contained within the filter media. I never move my old filter media to my new tank. The new filter media "lives" in my established for several weeks and then I move the new filter media to the new tank. Over thinking it? Lol. :)

I only wait about 1 full day after I stop adding ammonia to my tank before I add new fish. I also do a 50% water change before I add fish to the tank.
I don't know if I would wait 10 days. I would be worried about the bacteria starving, but if you have done it successfully before then it is something to consider.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yes, transfer the old media completely to the new tank. But fish and decor with it. Then you basically retire your old tank for a time. The old media will quickly encourage bacteria growth on the new media. Then when the new tank is estalished you return the old media/fish/decor to the first tank and you will have 2 established tank. I have done that several times and it has worked pretty well.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Well the bacteria won't starve because you will still have the original fish from the first tank that had been feeding that filter anyway. I would wait longer than 10 days before adding new fish. Give the new media time to colonize.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Be happy to...

Fully set up you 29g and fill with water and dechlorinate. Take the time to get your new water temp to the same temp as your 5g. Then take you 5g filter media and place it behind your new 29g media. It should fit, those filters always have extra room for additional media. Though its not necessary, I would also transfer you 5g decor as well because it also harbors some benficial bacteria(bb). Then you put your fish in the new tank set up. You can acclimate them however you wish, I personally would dump them in with the 5g water. That would likely lessen the chance of them going into shock from variances in the water conditions like ph or hardness. Then thats pretty much it.

The old filter media still has enough bb growing on it to process any ammonia or nitrite that your three fish will produce, plus I don't think two guppies and a platy will put out enough ammonia to bring 29 gallons to toxic levels as long as you have some bb in the tank. One important note... make sure you dechlorinate your NEW tank BEFORE adding the media from the OLD tank. Otherwise the chlorine and chloramine will kill what ever bacteria you have.

Then you let your 29g alone for a few weeks, aside from regular water changes. Check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels every day if you can especially the first few days. If something goes wrong and ammonia spikes add ammo lock to keep toxic levels low enough to buy you time to do major water changes. Remember however that ammo lock really only masks ammonia and it will wear off eventually, so if that does happen you must, must, must do huge water changes until the tank cycle catches up. That is worst case, and I have never had that happen using this method but its good to know what to so if that situation occures.

You will know when you can remove your old media when your new media looks similar to the old. Full of bacteria, smelly, full of life, you know what I mean. When you get to that point you can remove your old media and decor and re-setup your 5g without effect the cycle of the 5g (as long as you dechlorinate again). However your bb in both tanks requires ammonia to survive. So, DO NOT return your three original fish until you have others to replace them. I hope that makes sense. If one tank goes to long without fish producing ammonia then the colony will die. So after a few weeks you will have two established tanks.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. Merry Christmas!

Sep 19, 2012
Clearwater, Fl
Couldn't you just keep putting some fish flakes in the 5 gallon while you are setting up the new one to keep ammonia in the tank?
Also just to confirm, I will post pictures to help you aid me.
Side note, I already have my tank set up with water and dechlorinator its been like that for days now.
all i have for media for the 29 gallon is a bio-wheel.