my son poured the fish food in the tank

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You've likely done enough - my son has done this before - it's not the end of the world, assuming you have a relatively stable system

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i went over to my friend's uncle's house last week--his little cousin poured a whole can of fish food into his uncle's tank--the house smelled like something had died a thousand times....the tank was a nice dark gray color...and all the bristleworms were on the top layer of sand: all of em were dead

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
RYANRODRIGUEZ said:
someone should invent a sort of lock for the tank lid.
you could probably figure some way to install some sort of padlock to your hood--you would need a full hood w/ a ring on the tank's rim and the hood for the lock....you would also need to make sure there are no other openings

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Why don't you find out how long it takes for organics to mineralise to ammonia? There is no way anyone dumping a whole can of food in a tank should cause an utter wipeout unless the system is horribly overloaded/badly maintained. You have several hours to try to filter/syphon out the stuff. If you pay any attention to your tank this really sohuld not wipe you out.
I wouldn't expect to get it all out, and I'd expect a bit of a spurt in algae growth but really......

Some peoples tanks seem to crash at anything - what does that tell you - badly maintained, unbalanced, overcrowded.