My SW Update

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
ill just get right to it. my tank is 30g and has been up for about 8 or 9 months now. at first it was a bit bumpy me and my mom started buying stuff way to early and we lost alot of fish and corals(plus a lot of money). BUT now i feel that the tank is starting to even out.so heres whats in the ank right now.
fish-
small purple tang(not permanent)
sixline wrasse
watchman goby
orange spotted blenny
oscelaris

coral-
frogspawn(not doing great)
pulsing xenia
couple colonies of star polyps
hairy mushroom

plus an anenome and a sand sifting star

here are some pics of a couple of the things in the tank

sorry bout the picture quality. so tell me what you think!

JJ*celebrate

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well the sand sifting star is probably doomed as you only have a 30g and has probably decimated the life in the sand bed and will no doubt starve to death. The corals that you have are usually pretty hardy so you would have to tell us more about your set up ie. lighting to tell ......that would also tell us the fate of your anemone also, some are tolerant of low light conditions and some arent. Most though need pristine water conditions to survive long term.....and by long term I mean years not months.

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
i have a Viper MH light that i have on for about 4-5 hours a day. and then regular PC that is on from 7am to 9pm. and i had no idea that the sand sifter needed a larger tank, he seems to be doing okay but is there anything i can do for it?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
everything looks/sounds good aside from the purple tang wich i dont belive should spend much time if any in a tank that small
And the seastar like Lorna said and your Anenome is bleached. I had one do that before and I had no idea what it meant. But you may want to leave your MH on a bit longer, it might help your anenome.

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
tre yes i know that the tang cant have a long term life in the tank but he is barely 3 inches
and thanks fishgeek i will try to leave it on a bit longer

Burton

o i just looked back at the pic of the anenome it does not look at all that white it is actually a shade of light lime green

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes that anemone is definitely bleached. Is it a bubble tip? You will need to feed it and give it good light as it should be a darker green.......not a light neon green.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
From experience my sand sifting star died after about 6 months. Try a sea cucumber for sand cleaning. I seen a anemone at the lfs last week that looked just like that. I think that is how it's supposed to look unless it is an BTA.

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
what size tank was the star in joe? and sea cucumbers clean the sand? i lso have to nassari snails(spell?) that clean under the sand also. my anenome looked like this when we got it so im not sure if it is bleached or not but i will try to do what lorna recommended.

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
well here are the new pix i promised!!

again im so sorry about the picture quality im using this cheap little 50$ kodak camera....=[[
the pictures do absolutely no justice of the corals colors either so just imagine everything at least three times brighter! =]

tell me whatcha think!?

Burton

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
It looks like you have some good stuff in there Burton. I agree that a full tank shot would be nice. Have you tried taking it at night with the tank lights on and no other light in the room (no flash)?