my swordtail

so i have a female swordtail in a 10gal tank...most of the day, i keep the tank light off because of the heat in my dorm room (the water stays around 80 degrees farenheit without a heater)...my swordtail only comes out when the light is on...and as soon as i turn out the light, she goes back under a piece of scenery that i have...is this normal for her?

thanks!

<3

*maL_z

Oct 24, 2005
Normal?! I'm not really sure what normal is, or if it even applies to fish. I have 2 female and 1 male pineapple swords in my 55 molly tank. The male is almost constantly active light on or off. However, one female will only swim around when the light is off, the rest of the time she just kind of shuffles along the bottom. The other female is largely less active when the light is off. I guess what I'm getting at is that some fish just have weird habits, so long as the fish seems healthy there's no need for a change. How many tankmates does your sword have, maybe a change in scenery or tank mates would bring her out more. Also, sometimes if you can't have the tank light on, try having the room lights on, sometimes as long as there's light they're not too picky about the source.

Hope this helps.