My tank is bowing.

Jan 6, 2009
Bradenton Fl.
After two weeks up and running my 150 gal tall tank has bowed out at the top. So much so that the glass support that runs across the middle for support for the top has fallen in. I drained the tank down by a third and it came back in. How do I fix it? Why di it bow? Is this normal? Help!

Jan 6, 2009
Bradenton Fl.
Bowed tank

I built it with Pressure treated 4x4's and 2x4's. It is square and I leveled it on the floor with metal shims. It is well supported. I have attached pics. For the first week their wasn't any bowing, then one morning the piece of glass across the top had fallen in.

Attachments

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
How far was it bowing in the middle and how thick is the glass (tank and brace)? Do you know if the tank sat empty for an extended amount of time? Also, wouldn't happen to know what brand it is?

Long come short, you'll have to take down the tank and silicone in the brace again (I assume it's the silicone that failed not the glass it's self?). Depending on the thickness of the tank glass it might be worth buying a new, wider brace from a glass shop. If it sat empty for a long time it might even be worth being pro-active and resealing it.

Chris

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
With a 150 gallon tank, I think Chris is correct . . . I would take the extra precaution and reseal the entire tank. This is very cheap insurance for the disaster that could happen if you don't do it. It's very lucky the whole thing didn't come apart when the center brace let loose. Consider that a huge stroke of luck and don't risk a total blow-out.

Jan 15, 2009
Mine, Too!

Mine is a 125 gallon tank. Same thing happened to me last night. It is an old glass tank. I have had it for 10 years and bought it used. It has been in its current location for 3 years. (Full) I drained half the water out to relieve some of the pressure.

Were you able to repair yours? How did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!