My tank need advice

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You should do what you can to keep it up as high as you can. If you're doing your weekly 35% water changes then it shouldn't be too difficult to keep the water topped off.

I'd agree with Jwright, it looks kind of overly symmetrical, could either add some more plants or move the ones you have a bit?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Whoa...I don't know if it's just the picture, but is your tank hanging off the sides of the table it is on?! The whole bottom of the tank "foundation" (black plastic) should be supported on either a tank stand or table. DO NOT have it hanging over the edge of anything as this will eventually cause your tank to break/leak.

jamesw

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Surrey, England
hhmmm damn thats even more money ok ill get that sorted or could i just put an extended wood borad support?? but other than that the only thing wrong is that the water is low and it looks too simple. i also wanna buy a new filter at some point and recomendations.

cheers

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
In a pinch I think you could put a two by four across the front and the back of the table-- since the overhang is only one inch each side-- and have the tank sit on those. Of course, this would only be if you can't run right out and get a proper stand for it, until you can. It would certainly work better than the situation you now have.
For a hotb filter I recommend an aqua clear-- not too pricey, and dependable and quiet.

jamesw

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Surrey, England
ok thanks for advice and if anyone knows, i think my fish are really scared all the time or dont like light cos whne the light is on they all hide i the shade and when it is off they come out and seem happier but i need the light on for the plants dont i ?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i'd add more decorations for more "cover." yes you need light for the plants. if you add more plants and some rocks to break up the open-ness of the tank, they may be less skittish. if your fish are new, they may just be stressed and will calm down when they get used to their new surroundings.

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
yup i think if you added a few more plants your fish would feal more secure and not run and hide when the lights come on, however this is not for sure my sons tank has alot of cover and no matter what i do they all hide anyway. gl and nice looking tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Another thing that really helps fish come out of their "shells" is by adding top cover. In the wild, fish often swim around under docks (you've seen them there!), trees, floating plants, seaweed, you name it, so by adding a floating plant to the surface, fish often feel much more comfortable and begin swimming around a lot more. Java moss works well for this, but any plant floating on top, even fake, will help.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
If you're short on cash, I would move the roots to back left corner and then arrange the plants across the tank in a diagonal starting from the right right side to the left front...Add some taller plants to the back and the sides as you can. By breaking up the tank a bit it gives the fish places to explore and their hiding places will be more spread out so the aren't all bunched up.