my ten gallon Ideas

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
I would go with maybe a Dwarf Gourami and a few fancy tailed guppies if you want it to be really colorful, or, if your not a fan of guppies, how about some neons or rummy nose tetras? A pair of Ottos or cory cats might also be a good idea.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Even a small Oscar shouldn't be kept in a 10 gallon. It would easily outgrow it in 2 months, if not sooner.

I set up a tank for a friend of mine with 6 Neons, 4 Fancy Guppies, and 2 Cory Cats, which looked really nice. Sadly, the Gups didn't make it through the cycle. If I was stocking a 10g, I'd probably do one center fish (Gourami or Betta), a small school of tetras/danio (maybe 4-6 fish), then maybe 2 Cory Cats and an Oto or two for algae cleanup.

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
wilsonriverfish said:
I want color and movement! The dwarf cichlids sound cool but i would want alot
You could go with some Rams, but you would have to let your tank cycle completely before adding them and would have to maintain excellent water quality. Rams are extremely lively and colorful, but not the easiest to keep.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Chris89 said:
You could go with some Rams, but you would have to let your tank cycle completely before adding them and would have to maintain excellent water quality. Rams are extremely lively and colorful, but not the easiest to keep.
Lol, You sound as if you speak from experience! :p

I agree, Rams get beautiful colors. If you're looking for something a little less sensitive to water quality, I think Dwarf Gouramis (Powder Blue, Flame) get lovely colors as well. :)

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
if you want dwarf cichlids, you could go with rams, but i would rathergo with some nice apistos or checkerboards.

ive found wild rams to be very hardy, the main problem with most of them is that they are so inbreed, like guppys.

cheers

-Jav

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
If you are going to have Apistos, I'd get a pair and thats it...no other fish. A pair will most likely breed for you. I'd plant the tank too...they would love it.

Apistogramma cacatoides "triple red"
"Picture of Orange Flash" (scroll down)

A. cacatoides is my favorite although I don't have any...yet.

I have a 10g with a male betta and 6 harlequin rasboras. I have some plants in mine and it works out nicely. I occasionally see the betta follow the harlies, but otherwise he leaves them alone. They are too fast for him...lol.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
PlecoCollector said:
Even a small Oscar shouldn't be kept in a 10 gallon. It would easily outgrow it in 2 months, if not sooner.

I set up a tank for a friend of mine with 6 Neons, 4 Fancy Guppies, and 2 Cory Cats, which looked really nice. Sadly, the Gups didn't make it through the cycle. If I was stocking a 10g, I'd probably do one center fish (Gourami or Betta), a small school of tetras/danio (maybe 4-6 fish), then maybe 2 Cory Cats and an Oto or two for algae cleanup.
im planning a tank along those lines at the moment (betta and 4-6 black neons), could you fit 2 cories AND an oto or would it be one or the other?

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
tessalion said:
im planning a tank along those lines at the moment (betta and 4-6 black neons), could you fit 2 cories AND an oto or would it be one or the other?
I don't see why not :eek:
The Cories will stay on the bottom, while the Oto sticks (no pun intended) to the walls and decor of the tank. The Betta and tetras will then occupy the middle area. It looks good to me! :)

Aug 4, 2006
Alabama
Why have I never heard of those before? They look familiar, but I've never really seen them with a name attached.
They don't carry them in any of the LFS in my area. I've just heard of them from fish related websites. If you look on Aquabid, there are alot of people selling them. ApistoDave is one that I've heard mostly good things about. He does tend to give people all males instead of a m/f pair like they want though. There are more Apisto species then just cacatoides, but those are my favorite.

Apisto borelli

There is a website about them..Apistogramma.com - The Dwarf Cichlid Connection Home.

ShellDwellers.com - Index for Shellies. They are really small. You could have a colony of multies in a 10g.