My turtles ate all of my fish

Plee_cO

Large Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
over the course of today and yesterday i lost 4 goldfish, 1 pleco, 1 cory, 1 tetra, and 2 guppies.

what the freak is that man.

i didnt know 5 month old turtles could eat that much fish. thats like 16" of fish

ok well im buying a new tank and i have learned from that massive mistake. i just didnt know that the turtles at only like 3 inches would eat all of those fish. even the fish that were bigger then them.

now i have to figure out what i want.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
To be honest, it's kind of like putting a cat in a cage with birds and wondering why the cat ate them.

You should do some research on your turtles to find out their best environment and diet.

I do have to say, I find it strange that your first post yesterday you had a bunch of fish, and today they all got eaten. Hmmmm...

Plee_cO

Large Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
i totally expected to turtles to eat the fish. but like you said about the cat and birds. well this is like putting an albatroz(i think thats how you spell it) with a kitten. ive done my research, now, and i know how to better accomodate my turtles but i still want fish. im just gona keep them seperate

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
So the turtles had a good snack...not the end of the world!
That's what I tell myself whenever my crays end up devouring one of their tankmates. ;)

As long as you're prepared to face the possibility of fish falling victim to predators in the tank, then all is well.

Did you witness the turtles catching/eating any of their prey?
I would think it would be interesting to watch. I'm always fascinated to see my crays hunting and catching other live food sources---be it feeder fish, more 'showy' fish, snails, or even other crays! :eek:

Big Vine

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well...that was an irresponsible mistake...turtles have much different needs than tropical fish. Turtles are messy, and usually don't go well in "fish" tanks. Please do some research on any future fish you plan to purchase.