my water is brown

JLPFAM

New Fish
May 24, 2010
I recently bought base rock from a going out of business fish shop. the rock came from already set up tanks, I than had everything to start my new tank, I rinsed the rocks off with warm water than I set everything up added water and began the cycle process. HERE IS THE PROBLEM.... my water looks brown It was cloudy when I Initially started everything but the water has cleared up.(I added some bio-magnet, stress coat and Acurel F, 16 Drops for a 48 gal. tank)but now it's brown could it be the rocks or the chems? I have not added the Ammonia yet, but can someone give me some pointers.:confused:

May 7, 2010
I would say clean the tank out and go buy some new rocks and see if that helps that what happened to my tank and I bought new rocks it is totally clear now.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
How long since your water turned brown?
When I first added driftwood to my tank it turned the water a brown cloudy color but after a couple of days my filter cleared the water.

I'm not familiar with those chemicals, so I don't know if they could be contributing to the color problem. When I cycled my tank(s) the only thing I added was the dechlorinator and ammonia (to get the cycle going). Later I added Flourish Excel for my live plants.

Feb 27, 2009
I recently bought base rock from a going out of business fish shop. the rock came from already set up tanks, I than had everything to start my new tank, I rinsed the rocks off with warm water than I set everything up added water and began the cycle process.
If the rocks were kept wet from when they were in the fishstore's tank until you brought them home, they most likely had a lot of benefical bacteria on them. Rinsing the rocks off with warm water likely killed a lot of that bacteria and if you are not 'feeding' the bacteria with a source of ammonia, more are dying off.

My advice would be to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and if you are doing a fishless cycle, start adding ammonia daily to keep it at 5ppm. If the tank is indeed already cycled, you can add fish slowly.

There is no need for those extra chemicals, just use a good quality dechlorinator. Removing 'suspended solids' from the water to make it clearer does not address the root problem of what is making the water cloud up. Just because you can't see the 'cloudiness' doesn't mean that the particles are not still in the aquarium.

Last edited: