Mystery Snails

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i was wondering how long can mystery snails live outside of water. i though i had lost one of my gold mystery snails and i just found him on my back porch. i left my younger brother at my house for a couple of hours (he wanted to stay over that night) and i guess he took one of my snails out. anyway i heard that they were pretty tough buggers didn't know if they had any home. i would say it has been 2 to 3 days that he has been out and in the sun off and on.

P.S just letting you know my brother is 15 its not like i left a 5 yr old home alone.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I think they can live so long as they stay moist.
If it's only been a few days, then it may well be alive!

I'm assuming you put it back in your tank as soon as you found it, right?
Obviously you'll know whether or not it is alive when/if it starts moving around again.

This might sound weird...but smell it. Pick it up and smell the inside of the shell. If it is dead, you will nearly be gagging from the smell.

If the snail isn't moving in your tank, I'd wait until tomorrow morning and check it then (using the 'sniff test') to see whether or not it's dead. If it is, you'll want to remove it right away to keep it from decomposing in your tank and fouling your water.

Big Vine