name that crab?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So in my 20 gallon reef I have been loosing snails and hermits. I thought it was cause i just bought them within a month or two and my tank was fairly hot (85 degrees at times). But then when I went to move a rock to look for my pistol shrimp I found this guy who I assume also ate my pistol shrimp. No idea how long e has been there but he was at least friendly to my fish.... for the time being. Since I have gotten rid of him. I'd say he was almost an inch across.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Some kind of mithrax crab. Best to get it out now that's for sure. I highly doubt it ate your pistol shrimp or snails/hermits. The heat probably killed them. The pistol shrimp could kill that crab without a problem. When they are that size the crabs aren't much of a problem they just scavenge. But when they get bigger they can reek havoc. I had a big one eating corals.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
he was pretty big.. bigger than the shrimp (which is still a baby) but I just found the shrimp so you are right, he didn't kill him. but i just re supplied my snail/ hermit population so that's good.

I am just shocked that he managed to stay hidden so long in a 20 gallon tank. He was about the size of my full grown emerald crab I had a while back.