nano tank..i know its supposed to be in other forum but.... i want it to get answered

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
hey i just went down to my lfs and the guy there was very helpful, albiet nerdy, (LOL) i purchased a small 5 gallon tank and he also gav eme 3 lb sea salt, a filter, a heater, substarte, hydrometer and thermoter all for 70 bucks....fisrt is that a good deal and secondly what else will i need i already have it cycling

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
oh sorry ya it has a light i forgot i wan tto upgrade to one that will support coral tho because i wanted to add a small piece of live rock with maybe something on it, an di was wonderin ghow many fish i could put in it three at most? i wanted to get one "finging LAMO" fish and maybe two others.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
you need to do some research though--there are a TON of good books out there regarding the saltwater aspect of the hobby...don't forget to check out the thread about going sw in this forum (the stickied one)
IMO a 5 gallon is going to be tough to keep water parameters constant--bigger is better

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would suggest no fish, or a maximum of one small inactive fish. I would strongly suggest you scout around in here for a bit , and especially look for what people recommend reading else you're going to be sad very quickly.
Compared to a 55 fresh a 5 gal nano salt is going to be very hard work. Do your research now before you start because things are going to happen very quickly, very badly in that tank.

What lights do you have on it?
What filter? I considered settign up a 5 nano recently, and ws going to filter it with a 300 l/h cannister.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
i would recommend maybe a yellow watchman gobby, and a pistol shrimp, a cool relationship they have and they can both work quite well in a 5 gallon, but i would say that woul dbe it for fish, or one clown, but 2 would be too many and definetely no anemones

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
hmm--that stocking plan would be pushing it though
how about one bad@$$ shrimp? my lfs has a whole section of shrimp in individual holding tanks that are incidentals with their live rock--some pretty cool looking shrimp...

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
ok well in case any oen here cares or remember even postign here i jsut bought a peppermint shrimp and green star polyps and zoo polyps that i put near the top of my tank so they get enough light everythign is doing a good espeically because i found a clam on an old piece of live rock and a featherduster a small on that decided to show itself. also there are jelly like arms coming from my new liverock...what are they, also i see what looks like to be a worm or somethign that is blue with oragish strips about the thickness of three needles

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ah yes...i had some of those come in on my live rock (what you are descirbing)...interesting little guys. they kind of look like a tiny pair of tweezers coming out of a tube...not sure what they were, some sort of worm i think...but nothing to worry about